Understanding The Basics.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Themaniac19, Apr 17, 2017.

1. T

Themaniac19 Valued Member Member

So, how do I care for aquatic plants. I know it's a stupid question. But really, what plants are good for low lighting, what are good lights to use, and does the substrate really matter? If anyone knows any semi-aquatic plants that would be great! Also, is it possible to use soil from outside as an aquarium substrate of substrate does matter? Thanks!

2. Rivermonster

Rivermonster Valued Member Member

Check out my posts about kh within this thread may help. Wouldnt go with outdoor soil. You can place a layer of aquarium soil underneath a layer or gravel to minimise costs. You may be able to have a planted tank with no soil, only gravel if you select the right plants and create the right conditions

3. MTSRandy

MTSRandy Valued Member Member

I run Finnex Planted plus 24/7 led lights on 2 of my tanks. I also used eco-complete and flourite plant substrate. I have a 3rd tank with gravel. All of them are planted. For low light tanks you can grow java fern, anubias, Amazon swords, water wysteria etc. Most online shops that sell plants have a beginner plant collection that you can look at to get ideas of the kinds of plants you can use. Also you will want to get some liquid fertilizer and or root tabs depending on the plants you pick.

4. r15u5

r15u5 Valued Member Member

I'm very happy with the Finnex 24/7 as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice