Understanding lighting requirements for nano tank

kayla.s

Hi everyone.
I'm looking for a light for my 16L nano tank. Not looking to grow any difficult plants but somewhere in the easy to medium range, and ideally wanting to keep it cheap. What sort of specs should I be looking for in a light in terms of watts, kelvin, lumens and all these other terms I dont understand?

TIA!!

Frank the Fish guy

Just get a clip on light that says it is for plants and your size tank. Use your eyes. It should make the tank very bright. Then just watch how well your plants do and change the amount of time it is on to make an adjustment. If you get algae then reduce the on-period. Or better yet get some nerite snails and they will eat the algae. You can start with about 12 hours of light per day and adjust from there.

I took my clip light apart and built it into my nano tank lid.

You want an LED lamp with about 10 Watts. Better to get a bit too big and reduce the on time.

kayla.s

Just get a clip on light that says it is for plants and your size tank. Use your eyes. It should make the tank very bright. Then just watch how well your plants do and change the amount of time it is on to make an adjustment. If you get algae then reduce the on-period. Or better yet get some nerite snails and they will eat the algae. You can start with about 12 hours of light per day and adjust from there.

I took my clip light apart and built it into my nano tank lid.

You want an LED lamp with about 10 Watts. Better to get a bit too big and reduce the on time.
Thank you for the response. Would something like this work? It's only 8 watts unfortunately but the size up is 40cm and therefore longer than the tank :/

Frank the Fish guy

Your plants will love it. Just dial back the time it is on if you get too much algae. Aquariums always find a balance. Just make adjustments until it balances where you want.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jmaldo
Replies
Views
Freshfishguy
Replies
Views
Chanyi
Replies
Views