Understanding LED lighting Question

1. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Hey guys,

So after looking around and trying to find ways to make my tanks:

a. lower maintenance
    b. lower running costs

I came across a friend who now runs a private business marketing and selling LED light fixtures for flood lights, downlights, spotlights and other things as such. After speaking to him, i believe it is possible to go LED on all my tanks without a hassle or extreme cost.

I need help in determining what to ask from him as i have very little understanding of LED lights. Lumens i get, colour temperature i get, wattage i get.

What i need to know is the type of LED im looking for, at what rated wattage and anything else i should know. All my tanks are medium-low light planted tanks that grow the usual anubias, javas, and other plants in this light category.

An example of one tank: 110g moderately planted

Java Ferns
    Java Moss
    Crypto Wedntii
    Crypto Undulate
    Bacopa
    Elodea Densa
    Dwarf Sag

...And im hoping to have a go at some valisneria

This tank is 24" deep and the current lights (2 x T5HO 54W @ 6700K) is mounted about 3" from the surface. I know these lights will sustain the plan above and also the vals.

As for LED, what will be the equivalent for this? Any ideas?

Apologies for being so specific, but its the only way i can find out :):)

Thank you!

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

3. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Yes i know it is on lumens. But there are so many other things that im rather being assured before i simply go for the one with the highest lumen count.

And yes it is helpful thank you :) Being in South Africa its difficult to even understand the layout, but it seems pretty customizable as it is :)

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

lumens and effective lumens are two different measurements.

I would use the specs from the marineland plant LED for a reference.

5. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Nice one Jaysee - looks like a great light. Interesting they use 420nm Blue, which is typically used as the LED equivalent of Actinic (for Reefs).

Another LED setup that may interest you iZaO is the Inwatter Amazon (http://inwatter.com/amazon.htm) - it's a very pricey fixture, but the technology might interest you. (They use CREE LEDs)

6. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

See what im looking for is more specifications and types (like the CREE :) )

The fixtures dont interest me, as they arent what im going for. My contact wont have them. They are however useful to show him, maybe to get him understanding where im coming from and what im looking for!

Thanks RyanR, that is actually a great piece of info, but wow the price!!! :;pirate

7. Fall River Member Member

Hey Guys, You might find this useful.

http:///Aquarium_Lighting.html

It's a very good, VERY in-depth article on all types of lighting, LED and CREE LED included.

8. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

You are my hero right now! :):)

Thank you

9. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

YW - the prices on their site are Hong Kong Dollars - I have their 2ft fixture on my reef (Stingray), and it converts to about $1000 Australian (still pricey, but I like and wanted the sunrise/sunset/moon feature)

And it was more the layout and technology (CREE's) that I thought you'd like ;)

10. Fall River Member Member

Glad I could help. You never know when the exact info your looking for is in another member's bookmarks. One of the reasons I love this site.

A click on my reputation button would be appreciated. ;)

11. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Oh okay, that is still pricey, but yeah exactly what i was looking for. The fact that they included the universal product code for the LED bulb is great! I also have to love that effect available ;D

What about a please you peasant ;D

12. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

13. Fall River Member Member

Thank You. PLEASE forgive my faux pas.
    (I'm just a peasant after all). :;scuba

14. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

lol... all is clean and well here :) nothing to worry

;D indeed so...

thank you very much :)