undergravel filter???

garybuk

HI are these worth getting? just after new filtering, do they run 24/7? or is it just when you gravel clean? . is it good for the fish if you get one that runs 24,7 cos the water will be sucking down won't it??? sorry for all the question hope someone can help. thanks in advanced gary

atmmachine816

I personally have not used them but I'v heard only bad things about them and my grandpa used them but then swithced to HOB (hang on back) filters so further proof for me to believe they are bad. They suck the junk under the gravel and it then eventually gets stuck there and creates ammonia and other problems. Yes they do run 24/7 and yes it's fine to let them fun 24/7, if you don't it's not good as the fish need to be in constantly filtered water to keep the tank cycled (check the nitrogen cycle in freshwater begginners if you don't know about cycling) In a undergravel filter it's not sucking down that much but the perferred and much better filters are HOB either aquaclear or bio-wheel and if you really wana spend some money a canister filter. The HOB filters let you choose the type of filter media you want and when you want to change it and are easy to operate and clean. I would advise not getting a undergravel filter.

Welcome to Fishlore

Fish Ace

Yes they work 24/7 and don't need power the only the that needs power is the air pump that you atatch to the ube so that the filter will work faster.

loggerbomb

Fish Ace said:
Yes they work 24/7 and don't need power the only the that needs power is the air pump that you attach to the tube so that the filter will work faster.
Well the air pump needs power.....

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom