Undergravel filter Yes/No?

colmandsam
Hello all! I just put in a purchase for a Uk 380 Litre tank. Its deep, and a corner unit. I was thinking about putting in an undergravel filter but have no idea if they are any good> Any thoughts on this would be great! Thank

Peterpiper
HI colmandsam,
With a tank that size I would go for a canister filter.
My view is that undergravel filters just pull all the stuff down into your gravel and hold it there. With a canister filter you remove the " stuff " from your system...

AggieYen
I would steer away from the UGF personally. Some smaller ones (20L) can possibly get away with the UGF, but I wouldn't ever use it again. I had a UGF in my 28L, and when I changed it to an internal filter, it was mind-boggling how much dirt was trapped underneath the plate. It took a good week to get the tank clean again after many, many, many water changes. Pockets of gas also tends to get trapped underneath the plate, and that becomes toxic to the fish when they're released.... I wouldn't do it, particularly a tank your size. I would go with a HOB or a canister filter.

colmandsam
HI Peter. Hmm, does that mean I will have to drill the bottom of my aquarium? I am new to this whole thing....

colmandsam
thanks aggie, its nice to learn from people in the know instead of salespeople.. cheers! er... what's a hob filter?

KittieKat
Pockets of gas also tends to get trapped underneath the plate, and that becomes toxic to the fish when they're released.... I wouldn't do it, particularly a tank your size. I would go with a HOB or a canister filter.

okay 1. these pockets only really build up if u dont use a powerhead with the UGF. the powerhead is strong enough to pull all the gases out from under the filter plate. so the chances of a toxic bubble aren't very likely YET if u just use the silly bubblestone method that comes with the filter (normally it does) then ure just looking for trouble because after a short amount of time the stone becomes useless and no longer pulls the water allowing for gas build up.

2. a HOB filter is a filter that Hangs On the Back of the tank.. hence HOB. a very good choice indeed. penguin and emperor are two well known makers of this specific type of filter.

3. I totally agree that u should get a canister filter. they tend to be the strongest. when used in combination with UGF the tank is spotless and safe for fishie friends (yet u don't need both of these!). canister filters also allow for many stages in order to filter the water... they use sponges, carbon (if u like), bio stars/ ceramics pieces (etc), and tons of other choices for water treaters like ammonia reducers, phosphate removers, etc etc the list goes on. definitely the way to go for easy cleaning and safe water

EDIT: no u don't have to drill a hole in the tank. canisters pull the water out with an out hose attachment, runs the water through the filter, and back into the tank through an in attachment. wet and dry filters are the ones u drill holes and blah blah blah... I wouldnt use one if I were a beginner.. too complicated!

COBettaCouple
I don't like them really and prefer HOB filters. I think they're the cleanest and safest for tank health.

Peterpiper
I don't like them really and prefer HOB filters. I think they're the cleanest and safest for tank health.

HI Dave, For a 380lt or 90g+ tank you would use a HOB Filter.. could you please expand on this, and your view on " cleanest and safest for tank health"
Pete

COBettaCouple
UGFs can create dangerous toxin pockets and are the hardest to clean out. They really seem to get so incredibly dirty underneath.

For a 380 liter tank, actually 2 HOB filters would be better. They could be spaced at 1/3rd from each side for more even filtration and I'd look at Marineland Biowheel filters or AquaClear filters rated 450gph or more each. I really like the biowheel filters for all the good bacteria colonization it allows.

HI Dave, For a 380lt or 90g+ tank you would use a HOB Filter.. could you please expand on this, and your view on " cleanest and safest for tank health"
Pete

colmandsam
thanks everyone ... there's a lot to learn for me yet methinks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Poshia11
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
JayH
Replies
Views