Under tank heaters: yes or no?

Jenay

Preface: Normally I wouldn't consider less than a 5.5 gallon tank for a Betta, but the fish in question failed to thrive in a larger environment, so I'm downsizing him, one last time. I do not require lectures on tank size.

I am creating a mini (2-3 g) super low flow paludarium type setup for a special needs Betta. He's a terrible swimmer, and often only spots the food as it falls. Sometimes, I swear he has no sense of smell to guide him to the food... No matter what I've done to slow down the flow in his various tanks, with multiple setups in each, he just cannot seem to function like a normal fish.

I've medicated him for internal and external parasites. He's had antibiotics. He's got copious numbers of plants to rest on, so he can stay near the surface with little effort; but after short bursts of energy, ends up drifting in the flow, eventually resting on the bottom. I've had him for over a year now, and nothing's changed in his activity or energy level, except for the Amano shrimp he hunted down and ate. (Really never expected him to be capable of catching it, but he did.)

Sooo... the question finally: I cannot find a functional submersible heater that doesn't go crazy and try to cook my dopey little fish, (and I've spent a small fortune trying) so I started thinking that it might be worth trying an under-tank filter, like those intended for reptiles. The one I'm looking at is specifically being marketed for turtles.

It would be on a placemat, with the container directly on top of it, on a wood shelf.

I know that a lot of people keep Bettas without heaters, but I keep my house too cool for that, year round.

Thanks for anything you can share with me about your experience.

Attachments

• IMG_20200419_194921058.jpg
    IMG_20200419_194921058.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 14

BigManAquatics

Even the little top fin ones? Aqueon also makes a 10-15w one, i ha e had success with both. Preset to 78 i believe, but not the flat ones...yuck!

I think what you are talking about would work the only part i question is if it would warm the water enough?

Upvote 0

Jenay

The problem is going to be finding a container that has a flat wall to attach suction cups on a more traditional up-to-5g heater. I'm not going to spend $80-$100 on a fancy brand name paludarium... I'm looking for the right size and shape of container at thrift stores and on amazon. So far, the only things I'm seeing are various rounded shapes.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Would one of those critter keepers work or is that too big?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
RayClem
  • Question
Replies
Views
Melina1020
  • Question
  • JamieBAnd