Question Under Stocked Tank And Low Ph Question

Roger172

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If my tank is under stocked would it be harmful to the current fish or it doesn’t matter? Just lost 2 of my Molly’s. I have a 40 gallon tank and currently have 4 neon tetras and 2 clown loaches. Anytime I try adding fish they die within 2-4 weeks. Everytime I test my water ph is low. I add a booster and do weekly water changes but I can’t get the ph up. I’m starting to think maybe adding 4-6 new fish may help. Thoughts?

Victoria99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If my tank is under stocked would it be harmful to the current fish or it doesn’t matter? Just lost 2 of my Molly’s. I have a 40 gallon tank and currently have 4 neon tetras and 2 clown loaches. Anytime I try adding fish they die within 2-4 weeks. Everytime I test my water ph is low. I add a booster and do weekly water changes but I can’t get the ph up. I’m starting to think maybe adding 4-6 new fish may help. Thoughts?
Understocking isn't bad at all. It means there is going to be less ammonia in the water and you won't have to change it as often/as much.
If your fish are dying when you add them, it's probably something else. Is your tank cycled? Are you acclimating them to the water (temperature and Ph) before introducing them?

Roger172

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I usually place the bag in the tank for an hr and dump water and fish in. My tank has been set up for over a year. Actually my 1 loach is the same one I bought when I setup the tank.

LuckyGourami

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wouldn't add 4-6 fish all at once. That will cause your ammonia to spike, and your bacteria won't have time to catch up.

Mollies are extremely sensitive to nitrites and nitrates. Even a minor spike can kill them. I found this out the hard way when I first started. Adding aquarium salt to your tank might help. Salt makes nitrites and nitrates somewhat safer for fish and will keep things more stable for the Mollies. Just don't do it if you have snails.

Roger172

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If anyone has suggestions on what fish to add with the clown loaches and Molly’s let me know lol. My daughter picked out the Molly’s. The kids like the active fish

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What's too low of a ph? You maybe doing more harm than good by trying to mess with it.

What's your water changes like? How frequent and how much water is replaced? Are you using a water conditioner?

It may not be best to pick up new fish until you figure out why you haven't been having success with new additions lately.

Joshuaharestad

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Try getting crushed coral. It will help raise and stabilize your ph.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom