Under gravel tunnel

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Bayster70, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Bayster70Valued MemberMember

So I have a 45 gallon tank and I was wondering if I could use some pvc pipe and use it as a little tunnel? The pipe laying at the bottom of the tank and then having rocks and gravel over it in Linda of a mound? No idea on how good this would look or tips on how to make this works any help is greatly appreciated

2. chrt396Well Known MemberMember

I guess if you put sliders or large pebbles on top of it..it would essentially be a cave with no danger of the rocks collapsing! It would be a reinforced cave! Good idea! I don't know about UNDER the gravel...but it sounds good at the surface.

3. Bayster70Valued MemberMember

I was thinking to have the gravel on the bottom flat and then the pvc and a little mound of gravel over it making almost a hill?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. chrt396Well Known MemberMember

Sounds like a neat idea! You could have some heavier rocks around the openings to keep the gravel from falling in front of the pipe openings...kind of like a barrier wall. Gravel vacuuming might be a challenge however. I think we forget about the maintenance part when our creative juices start flowing.I have put rock and decorations so close to the glass that I cant get a vac behind it...so it has to be moved..which messes up the decor.

5. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Sounds like a cool idea, my only concern would be that if for some reason a fish were to go in there and die, when you remove the pipe to get it out, youd stir up a ton of nastiness from the gravel in the process. Id almost recommend getting some aquarium sealant type silicone, and getting the pvc you want, apply silicone to it, and then roll it in some of the gravel to coat it rather, so that you dont see the pvc, you still have a cave, and its much easier to move if you have to.

6. chrt396Well Known MemberMember

bluestreak...does that sealant get all nasty after a while with goo and algae? I was thinking about that a while back and thought that maybe it wasnt the best idea...but I kept thinking about it. What kind of sealant would you use? If I went to the local Depot..what would I look for?

7. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

I know petsmart sells aquarium sealant, its about $8 a tube but toally safe. I know theres a silicone thats aquarium safe at hardware stores, I think just plain 100% silicone, making sure it doesnt have any other chemicals like the mold inhibitor. Jsigmo knows which one I believe. I just spend the $8 for peace of mind, plus its a small tube as it wouldnt take alot. Its the same sealant used to put glass together and hols our tanks together, so I dont think it would get funky. Maybe a good rinse once in a blue moon should be fine.

8. chrt396Well Known MemberMember

Hmm...I may get creative one day and try it! What the heck! It's raining everyday..so might as well keep myself busy! Obviously Golf is out of the question!

2" PVC pipe..covered in crushed coral. I think that would be a nice addition! Bury it half way into the substrate..and brush the coral up on the sides to look like a mound...with a Anubias on the entryway of the pipe. I'm feeling it!!!!!!!!

9. Bayster70Valued MemberMember

The only problem would be getting that size...I have looked around and I can only find it in 10 foot chunks and that's more then you would need so if you can find somebody who is like a plumber and ask them that might work

10. chrt396Well Known MemberMember

Home Depot has a scrap pile. You will either get it for free..or they also sell shorter sections..4 ft. If you have two or three little underground tunnels...what's a little waste?.

Now..that is at MY Home Depot. Results may vary from Depot to Depot!

I'm going out to get some sealant and piping today and piddle around with it and experiment and see if I can irritate my fish! They will be giving me that stink eye!

11. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Just don't get cell core pipe unless you plan on adding enough rocks to keep it from floating.

12. chrt396Well Known MemberMember

I was going to get some schedule 40 PVC..but lookie what I found lurking around in my garage!

IMG_4054.JPG

I thought I would need 2" pipe...but 1 1/2" is plenty!

13. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Some cell core is Schedule 40 too. But what you have is not cell core.

14. chrt396Well Known MemberMember

I guess I'm gonna try some arts and crafts! I don't want it to look tacky...so I have to think this one through.

15. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

You can also use fittings, as a fitting for 1 1/2" pipe will be slightly larger, and you can buy these in much smaller pieces.

16. chrt396Well Known MemberMember

Whadaya think? Should I make an underwater maze for the Mbuna's? That'll keep em' busy! Have LED lighting throughout the tunnel so they can see well. Maybe a rest area in between.!!

I'm feeling this...!
    :;rocker

All I need is another 30-40 lbs of gravel and I'll be set!! :;flake

17. chrt396Well Known MemberMember

I tried the aquarium sealant as a glue base for the pipe! What a mess! I decided to just stick with rocks! I have enough projects going on. Maybe if there was a better way of attached the gravel to the pipe, it would be better..but It just was NOT going the way I'd hoped it would. So,,,in the trash it went!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice