Under Gravel Filter.

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Cs10388, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Cs10388

Cs10388New MemberMember

Is an under gravel filter any good? I'm getting a 29G this weekend and it comes with it. I've never used one before. Read one thing that said it was terrible but read more that said it was really good. A bit confused.

2. Hill Dweller

Hill DwellerWell Known MemberMember

I think they are considered a bit old school now. People don't seem to like the way they pull gunk further down into the substrate, making cleaning potentially harder.

Also you can't use sand which a lot of people like to use. Probably also some of the special substrates for planting would clog it up too

I'd just put it aside and get a different filter. Have fun setting up!!

3. ChaoryValued MemberMember

If you live in the states, you can get a 29 gallon at Petco for $29, before the end of the month. I totally agree with Hill Dweller.

4. max h

max hWell Known MemberMember

They are outdated these days, but some people still use them with a HOB or powerhead mounted to the pickup tubes. A UGF does limit the type of substrate you can have.

5. OP
    OP
    Cs10388

Cs10388New MemberMember

Yeah, I live in the states. I heard about the sale going on. I'm getting one second hand, but it's practically brand new and comes with a TON of stuff. Like filters, heater, air pumps, gravel, crushed coral and more.

6. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

What Hill said. We all did it back in the day. We also broke aquariums completely down for cleaning several times a year and basically started our cycles over unknowningly. A UG holds a ridiculus amount of skank underneath the gravel over time.

7. OP
    OP
    Cs10388

Cs10388New MemberMember

That's what I was thinking also. Probably won't end up using it then. Thank you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice