Under developed mm fry?

abbytherookiehuman
I discovered three wcmm fry in my pond about two months ago (I'm guessing) after taking out the parents because of a huge storm and to clean the pond. I took them out so I could put the parents back in and put them in a grow out tank I've used in the past. This tank has snails, daphnia and ostracods as well as heaps of Java moss and algae and hiding places. Last time I grew out 5 fry without any problems but this time, two of them look the right size for their age and the third looks just a couple weeks old, half or even a third of the size of the other fish. I've been feeding them and they all seem healthy except for the size difference. Is something wrong? They were born maximum 1 day apart I'm guessing so it isn't an age difference. He also doesn't seem to be growing at all. Has anybody on the forum had this problem before?

david1978
Could just be a runt.

abbytherookiehuman
david1978 said:
Could just be a runt.
Is that really a thing? It just won’t grow?

wateriswet
I don't know the answer but had a similar experience. My adult WCMM were only in my breeding tank for 2 days so the fry have to be practically the same size. I probably had 30+ microscopic ones hatch and 12 make it to about 1cm long. Then, some started growing faster and others seemed frozen in time. They didn't appear sick or malformed, they just didn't get bigger but were still active and eating. I lost 2 (and I really mean lost as in no idea what happened or where they went) when I moved them into the tank that only has the parents and some cherry shrimp in it. I don't think there's a lot you can do except keep feeding them and maybe wait longer to move the small ones out of your grow out tank.

Top Bottom