Under 18 Fishkeeping

Seahorse man

HI everyone! I recently got into this hobby and found a passion for it, but there's one downside. I'm a minor and I come across many difficulties because of this. Mainly that I have to travel an hour and a half to a store that will sell me fish (there's a store 20 miniutes from me but their ridiculously expensive and won't sell fish to minors). And I go to school every day and am a tri-sport athlete. And I just flat aren't allowed to keep as many tanks as I would like to. I was just curious if there are other people like me that have problems with this hobby because they are underage. I would love to hear all about your problems, and any tips would be greatly appreciated!

alauruin

I'm confused by this idea of not selling fish to minors. Do they actually ID you when you try to buy fish? I got into the hobby as a minor and I never encountered anything like that!

Seahorse man

alauruin said:
I'm confused by this idea of not selling fish to minors. Do they actually ID you when you try to buy fish? I got into the hobby as a minor and I never encountered anything like that!
Yeah! I've showed up there with pictures of all my tanks, (4 freshwater and 3 saltwater) and they still won't. They told me that they won't sell fish to me unless I have a parent with me. I could have my parents go with me, but now it's a matter of pride and I just stopped going there, they are way more expensive anyway.

Jenoli42

I see heaps of 12-18 year olds come onto this forum with questions or asking for help, so it also surprises me that your LFS won't sell to minor without a parent

...maybe they don't sell to minors on the basis that most don't understand the nitrogen cycle? who knows...

anyway, it's lovely to hear that someone your age has so many tanks and knows about both fresh and salt water! most i've seen are like 16 and got their first betta tank or something. that's really impressive

75g Discus Tank

I’ve never heard of a fish store not selling fish to minors. It’s not like it’s alcohol.

If it’s that far to get fish, try online. Aquabid has some dealers with fair prices.

If you want to set up more tanks, be extremely nice to your parents.

Then, sneak a tank into your house and set it up without your parents knowing. They shouldn’t be too mad if you were nice to them.

smee82

I would check if theyre legally allowed to refuse you a sale because your underage. I wouldnt think that they are allowed.

Seahorse man

Jenoli42 said:
I see heaps of 12-18 year olds come onto this forum with questions or asking for help, so it also surprises me that your LFS won't sell to minor without a parent

...maybe they don't sell to minors on the basis that most don't understand the nitrogen cycle? who knows...

anyway, it's lovely to hear that someone your age has so many tanks and knows about both fresh and salt water! most i've seen are like 16 and got their first betta tank or something. that's really impressive
Thanks! I'm turning my 55 gallon fish only saltwater tank into a reef tank for a school project. I'm super excited, but my parents think I'm weird. Haha

wodesorel

I have found many pet stores refuse to sell animals to anyone under 18 in the US without permission of a parent or guardian. The risk of abuse is higher, as is the risk of returns because of ticked off parents. The major chain stores have started following the same policies as animal shelters for safety. They usually have a blanket policy for anything living, including fish.

FishLoverEmma0

Jenoli42 said:

I had my first saltwater with a pair of successful helmet picassos when I was 12! I always got the "you have to be at least 18 to buy a fish." So much that I had to order my fish and coral online.

Jenoli42

FishLoverEmma0 said:
I had my first saltwater with a pair of successful helmet picassos when I was 12! I always got the "you have to be at least 18 to buy a fish." So much that I had to order my fish and coral online.
wow! that's so awesome! my youngest step daughter is 12. she spent a few weeks deciding on a fish tank or "something else" for her 12th birthday. if she went with fish, she was deciding between a blackmoor tank and a betta tank. in the end, she decided that we already have 2 tanks and she'd see what "something else" was. lolz. I tried, though!

endlercollector

The world has gotten so uptight. I can understand not letting you buy a puppy, but fish? Wow. When I was a teen, we didn't have to wear seatbelts, the drinking age was 18 (so we drank at 16), and I walked into the humane society and got my friend a puppy because she needed one more than a boyfriend. Sigh. So of course, I became the mom who surprised her 5-year-old with a puppy one day after school (because she needed her own dog) and put a Betta in her room as well as a 29-gallon. Consequently, she is now 16 and has no interest in dogs or fish anymore. It all came too easily for her. You, on the other hand, will always appreciate your animals because of what you're having to go through to get them

AxolotlAquarist

I'm a minor too. My aquarium hobby only extends as far as my parents will allow it, and so far I haven't found a store that will sell me fish without a parent there. I believe they're acting off a general rule of not selling any living animal to a minor, otherwise you'd have eight-year-olds buying hamsters and that wouldn't go down very well. It's frustrating, though, especially because few people take me seriously and LFS employees try to sell me pink plastic .5 gallon betta tanks, and I've had people refuse to sell me saltwater fish, like I might have put a teaspoon of table salt in a five gallon tank and called it done. I stick mainly to freshwater because I simply can't afford a full-time saltwater tank. I also can't afford the shipping prices of buying fish online.

Seahorse man

AxolotlAquarist said:
I'm a minor too. My aquarium hobby only extends as far as my parents will allow it, and so far I haven't found a store that will sell me fish without a parent there. I believe they're acting off a general rule of not selling any living animal to a minor, otherwise you'd have eight-year-olds buying hamsters and that wouldn't go down very well. It's frustrating, though, especially because few people take me seriously and LFS employees try to sell me pink plastic .5 gallon betta tanks, and I've had people refuse to sell me saltwater fish, like I might have put a teaspoon of table salt in a five gallon tank and called it done. I stick mainly to freshwater because I simply can't afford a full-time saltwater tank. I also can't afford the shipping prices of buying fish online.
I completly agree with not letting kids buy animals most of the time, but I've been in this store like 6 times, bought dry goods, and had a long talk with the owner about seahorses, showed them pics of all my tanks, and they still won't let me! I just gave up on them. I'd rather go somewhere else than be treated as though I don't have any business being there.

AxolotlAquarist

alauruin said:
I adore the horse in your profile picture! Are you a rider? Either way, he/she looks so sweet! Fish aside, I'm definitely a horse person.

Seahorse man

alauruin said:
Yep, you have to park in front of their store, so they see you can drive, and they always ask for an ID before netting anything. I cracked my parents up when I said I needed a fake ID for buying fish.

75g Discus Tank

I have a plan.

If you tell us the name of the store, we will go and rate it 1 star on google reviews.

Then, the store’s rating will drop and less people will go there. We will then all laugh maniacally while people stare at us strangely.

FishLoverEmma0

75g Discus Tank said:
I have a plan.

If you tell us the name of the store, we will go and rate it 1 star on google reviews.

Then, the store’s rating will drop and less people will go there. We will then all laugh maniacally while people stare at us strangely.
Great plan! We should all go there, stand outside the store, hold hands, and protest. Everyone on fish lore lol

Gone

75g Discus Tank said:
I have a plan.

FishLoverEmma0 said:
Great plan! We should all go there, stand outside the store, hold hands, and protest. Everyone on fish lore lol
Do you actually believe that a fish store working on razor-thin margins loves to refuse to sell to minors because they're, what, evil? Because they hate children? So they need to be shamed and boycotted?

Could you consider a reason that actually makes sense?

I'll bet these places are simply sick of minors buying stuff and having the parents storm into the store demanding their money back because Darling Little Johnny bought a bunch of fish, dumped them into a tank, watched them for an hour, got bored, went to a friend's house to hang, and the fish died and stunk, and it's the evil store's fault.

FreshestFreshwater

Lol petco has the same dumb policy and it’s so frustrating when they don’t trust minors with fish. Meanwhile their employees are “too busy” to remove the the 2 inch substrate of dead of fish at the bottom of every tank.

FishLoverEmma0

FreshestFreshwater said:
Lol petco has the same dumb policy and it’s so frustrating when they don’t trust minors with fish. Meanwhile their employees are “too busy” to remove the the 2 inch substrate of dead of fish at the bottom of every tank.
I know right? When their feeders die, they don't even bother to get them out of the tank. Its disgusting.

FishLoverEmma0

WhoKnows said:
Do you actually believe that a fish store working on razor-thin margins loves to refuse to sell to minors because they're, what, evil? Because they hate children? So they need to be shamed and boycotted?

I'll bet these places are simply sick of minors buying stuff and having the parents storm into the store demanding their money back because Darling Little Johnny bought a bunch of fish, dumped them into a tank, watched them for an hour, got bored, went to a friend's house to hang, and the fish died and stunk, and it's the evil store's fault.
What I'm trying to say is, they should at least have you show them proof of your experience and show them your tank and fish in a pic before dear little johnny decides to murder some fish.

Seahorse man

WhoKnows said:

I couldn't agree more, it just sucks they won't trust me after all the hassle I've gone through to prove to them that these fish will have a good home.

FreshestFreshwater

FishLoverEmma0 said:
I know right? When their feeders die, they don't even bother to get them out of the tank. Its disgusting.
Lol feeders for the feeders

FishLoverEmma0

FreshestFreshwater said:
Lol

FreshestFreshwater said:
I get SO triggered when I see a parent buy a feeder for what... 18¢ and put it in a bowl for their kids. Some parents just don't get why some fish are so cheap, they only care about "oh well this fish is like 10¢ I could buy it go to the dollar store and get a glass bowl and plop it in there! The kids will love it!

Skye_marilyn

Yeah I feel you, I’ve gone through my fair share of trials and tribulations mostly of people not taking me seriously.

sushifanta

honestly I can understand the rule, so that an 8 year old doesn’t just walk into a store with a few quarters and terrorize the **** out of a goldfish, but 18 is a bit high to set the bar. Most people take care of cats and dogs before they’re 18.

wodesorel

It has nothing to do with trust, it has everything to do with (most) people under the age of 18 having a legal guardian. A minor does not become the responsible party upon purchase or adoption, their parent does. So the parent is the one who gets to give permission.

When I was under 18 I thought these restrictions were the worst thing ever, now that I have step-kids that are around 18 I can see why they are in place.

I think the important thing to realize is that these restrictions are not slights against you. It's more to keep the parents from flipping out.

sushifanta

Makes sense, I suppose it is the parents house to have fish in.

FishLoverEmma0

Skye_marilyn said:
Yeah I feel you, I’ve gone through my fair share of trials and tribulations mostly of people not taking me seriously.
When I was desperately trying to buy a bubble tip for my 38 gal custom bowfront, they looked at me like I was crazy. They said "you can't get an anemone for your nemo fish because the water they need has salt in it and yours doesn't." They showed me an orange swordtail. "Is this what your nemo fish looks like?" I was so annoyed. I was about to tackle that employee. I had two helmet picasso clowns that had laid eggs on some live rock, and I wanted to get an anemone, quarantine it until the eggs hatched, and put it in with the clowns. They were not taking me seriously one bit. I hate that some people assume that 10-12 year olds think all fish are "nemo fish" or "dory fish." I was dead serious. I ended up just ordering one online.

CraniumRex

wodesorel said:
It has nothing to do with trust, it has everything to do with (most) people under the age of 18 having a legal guardian. A minor does not become the responsible party upon purchase or adoption, their parent does. So the parent is the one who gets to give permission.

When I was under 18 I thought these restrictions were the worst thing ever, now that I have step-kids that are around 18 I can see why they are in place.

I think the important thing to realize is that these restrictions are not slights against you. It's more to keep the parents from flipping out.
Very well said.

It stands to reason that it’s no slight against the person being a minor per se, or an assumption about their experience level or capability. I’ve seen LFS and big box store alike sell fish without asking about experience or knowledge of any adult, I’ve seen them sell a ½ gallon per fish “Betta Falls” tank to a grandma, so I can only conclude that neither the abilities of the person nor the future of the fish are necessarily the issues in question.

AquaticJ

I work at a LFS, and we're not supposed to sell anything live to minors. However, I will and I have with fish, but only if they're mature, responsible, and have the right set up. I will interrogate them with questions, not hard questions, but easy questions for someone who knows how to properly care for fish. (I do this with a lot of people who aren't minors). I can tell when someone doesn't know much. Nobody at my store would card you for a fish, unless you looked like you were fresh out of preschool. Or if you were in there with a groups of friends clearly just trying to impulse buy a fish. I'm allowed to refuse the sale of anything live, even if they aren't a minor. An example would be a guy who tried to buy two Bettas just to make them fight. I told him I wouldn't sell him anything live at all after telling me that.

FishLoverEmma0 I cannot tell you how many times I've heard a kid say "It's Dory!" or "It's Nemo!". I heard it twice today.

Seahorse man

AquaticJ said:
I work at a LFS, and we're not supposed to sell anything live to minors. However, I will and I have with fish, but only if they're mature, responsible, and have the right set up. I will interrogate them with questions, not hard questions, but easy questions for someone who knows how to properly care for fish. (I do this with a lot of people who aren't minors). I can tell when someone doesn't know much. Nobody at my store would card you for a fish, unless you looked like you were fresh out of preschool. Or if you were in there with a groups of friends clearly just trying to impulse buy a fish. I'm allowed to refuse the sale of anything live, even if they aren't a minor. An example would be a guy who tried to buy two Bettas just to make them fight. I told him I wouldn't sell him anything live at all after telling me that.

FishLoverEmma0 I cannot tell you how many times I've heard a kid say "It's Dory!" or "It's Nemo!". I heard it twice today.
I wish more people were like you, most lfs drive me crazy.

FishLoverEmma0

AquaticJ said:

I hear it all of the time at our store. Some are actually accurate, one time a boy pointed at a hippo tang and said "look mom its dory!" And he pointed to a maroon and said "look its nemo!" But one of my pet peeves is when kids say that a lot of fish are nemo. Such as I had a kid come in and look at a guppy and say "nemo!" I try not to let it get on my nerves too much, as they usually don't know any other fish other than dory and nemo, being kids and all.

AquaticJ

Nemo is an Ocellaris, so he was wrong I had a grown woman ask if she could put a Clown in a gallon bowl lol.

Seahorse man I have a regular that's 17.

FishLoverEmma0

AquaticJ said:
Nemo is an Ocellaris, so he was wrong I had a grown woman ask if she could put a Clown in a gallon bowl lol.
Well, at the time he was only six, and the maroon was at the bottom of the 'shelves' or whatchamacallit, so I understood what he meant. He did murmur and say that the 'nemo' looked weird. He was too short to see the large school of ocellaris.

AquaticJ said:

Seahorse man I have a regular that's 17.
That's sad to see when people ask ridiculous questions like these. I can understand if someone was just in there to see all of the fish, (I did this a lot as a kid, especially now but with the snakes and birds) and was just wondering, not having any experience, maybe just planting their feet in the ground.

FishLoverEmma0 said:
That's sad to see when people ask ridiculous questions like these. I can understand if someone was just in there to see all of the fish, (I did this a lot as a kid, especially now but with the snakes and birds) and was just wondering, not having any experience, maybe just planting their feet in the ground.
Something hilarious happened to me once. There were a lot of reviews of our store saying 'beautiful fish!' One day I was getting ready to go to the store when I got a phone call. There was a man on the other side, and he was asking when we were open. 8:30 to 5:00 I said. To my surprise, he asked me where he could buy tickets. I practically burst with laughter that could be heard maybe 100 miles away. The guy thought that our fish store was an aquarium! I was crying with laughter the entire day!

Skye_marilyn

FishLoverEmma0 said:
When I was desperately trying to buy a bubble tip for my 38 gal custom bowfront, they looked at me like I was crazy. They said "you can't get an anemone for your nemo fish because the water they need has salt in it and yours doesn't." They showed me an orange swordtail. "Is this what your nemo fish looks like?" I was so annoyed. I was about to tackle that employee. I had two helmet picasso clowns that had laid eggs on some live rock, and I wanted to get an anemone, quarantine it until the eggs hatched, and put it in with the clowns. They were not taking me seriously one bit. I hate that some people assume that 10-12 year olds think all fish are "nemo fish" or "dory fish." I was dead serious. I ended up just ordering one online.
That’s brutal, normally I just take it upon myself to tell them all about my tank first and watch the shock on their face when they realize I actually know what I’m talking about. It’s actually quite amusing to watch. I am a good people person so I can almost always get them to sell me anything I want for a decent price, but personally even living in a giant city with great fish stores I feel that online shopping is better. When I shop online I have more selection and get cheaper prices than at a fish store, but I learned my lesson about mentioning that in fish stores when I mentioned that I bought a lot of stuff online to an employee in which he said “you should learn to support local fish businesses, kids these days”. I don’t know I’m just scared of going to my LFS and getting fish that aren’t as healthy or desirable as online breeders.

Discus-Tang

I wouldn't give a fish store a massive headache about one small policy. They barely make a profit, if at all.

aussieJJDude

As a once minor, I certainly agreed with my LFS policy of not selling to minors. It shows that they not making a fast buck, rather want to give their stock the best possible life. In saying that, before ownership changed a lot of the employees knew me quiet well and would often talk to me abd ask me questions as much as I did myself. As long as the management wasn't there, a lot of employees knew my level of care and aquariums that they felt comfortable selling fish to me - however, did prefer when I didn't or at most buy cheaper/fewer fish. Looking back, I wish it wasn't the case. A minor is still a minor. If they can't make the decision to drive, drink, vote or anything else, then they shouldn't be allowed the chance to buy a live animal - without an adult...

lilabug4545

I have 17 tanks, and I'm only 14! It's pretty insane to me when I can't get fish without a parent, but I understand why. All of my pet store employee recognize me, and my Petco and Petsmart all say "Hey! How's [fish that I got there because it was sick] doing? What do you think we should do about it in our tanks? Hey, we have this betta who looks a bit sick, do you want him?" I've been offered jobs (3x at Petco 2x at Petsmart), and given 'Knowledge Bonuses' basically, when a customer comes in and all of the employees are busy, if I help them, I get a bonus. Usually I just do things like being able to pricematch from sites like eBay, or $1-2 off of certain things. When I hit 15, though, I can work at Petco, and all of the employees are counting down the days.

Anyways,
As a 14-year-old, I have bred guppies (not that much of an accomplishment, but still), and established my own strain (actually, three). I have bred bettas, and I've rescued too many fish to count. I absolutely hate it when people say that I'm spoiled, because I have paid for everything myself. I do odd jobs around the neighborhood, and selling my fish takes care of the electric and water bills.

Culprit

None of my LFS discruminate against me, although they're definitely like, this kid doesn't know anything, until I start talking to them (the knowledgeable ones at least) about my tanks, and what tank the fish are going in, ect.

I'm 15, and have 2 reef tanks, 1 high tech planted, and a shrimp tank. I am planning on breeding BangaiI Cardinals. I will say, my LFS has been a bit concerned when I come in asking for say a large school of tetras, and then I start talking about how I'll QT them, what tank they're going in, and they see I have the knowledge.

NLindsey921

Not a minor but living with my mother-in-law and understand all too well the limits on tanks. If it was me I'd have at least 2 in every room.

Fanatic

I am currently sixteen, and I have seven tanks
My MTS was insane back in the day, my parents were able to withstand it this far, it's not extremely hard to persuade them in letting you get another tank. If you have the room and time to do it, then why not get another?

Proudly running (and becoming overwhelmed) a 55, 31, 26, 20, 10, 5.5, and a 2.5 as of today I won't be getting more now.

Mazeus

I'm a major , and I do understand why stores need to have a clearly stated age limit (I mentioned this in another thread but in England and Wales it is illegal to sell animals to people under the age of 16 which is about right in my books). It makes it clear for all involved, and it avoid inconsistent age cut offs amongst employees.

Of course there are going to be young people who are amazing at looking after fish (I know a 16 year who has been in the hobby for ages and know far more than most). I got my first tank in 1999, I was an adult and I took terrrible care of those fish because I had no idea what I was doing, age definitely isn't everything. Thankfully, I am much older and wiser now.

Fanatic

Mazeus said:
I'm a major , and I do understand why stores need to have a clearly stated age limit (I mentioned this in another thread but in England and Wales it is illegal to sell animals to people under the age of 16 which is about right in my books). It makes it clear for all involved, and it avoid inconsistent age cut offs amongst employees.

Of course there are going to be young people who are amazing at looking after fish (I know a 16 year who has been in the hobby for ages and know far more than most). I got my first tank in 1999, I was an adult and I took terrrible care of those fish because I had no idea what I was doing, age definitely isn't everything. Thankfully, I am much older and wiser now.
I too can say the same.
I started fishkeeping in 2006, I was four years old then

GuppyGuy007

I am thirteen, and I can honestly say that I have never been questioned, or asked to show id when buying a fish. All of the guys at the fish stores know me. In fact, one time my dad dropped me off at the fish store and he walked to the dollar store. I talked to the guy for a bit, he caught me fish, and I paid for them. I then proceeded to walk with my fish to the dollar store and tell my dad I was ready to go. I guess I am lucky that it never happens to me. And I understand the limits on tanks at home. I can only have four!

Fanatic

I am questioned at chain-stores but not at my LFS, they know me extremely well, I must call every week.

OneLittleBubble

fishlover001 said:
I am thirteen, and I can honestly say that I have never been questioned, or asked to show id when buying a fish. All of the guys at the fish stores know me. In fact, one time my dad dropped me off at the fish store and he walked to the dollar store. I talked to the guy for a bit, he caught me fish, and I paid for them. I then proceeded to walk with my fish to the dollar store and tell my dad I was ready to go. I guess I am lucky that it never happens to me. And I understand the limits on tanks at home. I can only have four!
But it says you're 40 on your profile

GuppyGuy007

Parents made me, they don't like me putting in my real birthday

Gone

fishlover001 said:
Parents made me, they don't like me putting in my real birthday
Smart. There are so many creeps on the internet it would curl your toes. You don't want to get noticed by the wrong people. Just like the fish stores that are the subject of this thread. They're not doing it just to be jerks. There are reasons you'll understand when you get older and have experience of being knocked around yourself by life and also seeing it happen to other people.

I also never put my birthdate on the internet. With all the ID theft going on, why would anyone do that? They pick up this piece of info here, that piece of info there, next thing you know they've cleaned out your bank account. Why would I make a big piece of that identity puzzle public?

lilabug4545

Just a tip: If you are a minor, go your LFS, then buddy up to someone. Go in there often, but not more than you need to. Eventually they will learn to know you and you are more likely to be trusted.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom