Under 16, no fish.

Discussion in 'Fishkeeping Hot Topics' started by Slug, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

Outrageous. This boils my blood. Its ludacris and really not that serious. Its a pet yes, but at the end of the day its just a fish. Not only that but the law itself is stupid. I know many very mature and responsible aquarists under the age of 16, we have many here on FL.

2. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Wow, I've never heard of that law in the UK, the only one I know is you can't buy koi or marine fish under 16.

3. Chris123

Chris123 Well Known Member Member

Thats Riduluous!

i cant belive that go through that much trouble for this

CB

4. C

Charlemagne Valued Member Member

Ugh, people are ridiculous sometimes. :(

5. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Wow, I would die if I couldn't buy fish. I think that that law is a bit extreme

6. bass master

bass master Well Known Member Member

I always think its terrible when a government overextends the application of a law like that... Its just a waste of tax payer money and doesn't really accomplish anything that the creators of the law probably intended

7. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

"Pet shops must also provide advice on animal welfare to buyers."

*cough* *cough* *cou-LFS* *cough* *cough*

8. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Yes, it is ridiculous, wasting my tax money on this.

She gets all these restrictions put on her, and the real criminals (someone who recently killed a motorcyclist and permanently disabled motorbike's passenger weeks away form their wedding due to driving too fast on the wrong side of the road) gets 3 years in prison. 3 years with the possibility of being released in 18 months time for "good behaviour" for ruining 2 families lives forever.

The real criminals are better treated than the law abiding citizens. If a serial traffic offender got caught speeding, there would be a slap on the wirst, if I did it (no convictions), I woud get fined, points on my license. The list goes on.

It is crazy, many responsible fishkeepers are under 16, I personally think the younger members here (Not that it's even apparent until school is mentioned lol) are very sensitive to the needs of the fish, conversely, many adults (NOT our members) can be very irresponsible with another life form...

OK, I'm done, sorry!!!

9. tatty_kassy

tatty_kassy Valued Member Member

Not a big surprise, I read that a few weeks ago this 71 yr old woman was arrested and cuffed for asking an officer "why?" When he approached her & her friends while they were just lazily standing on the sidewalk.
    for standing on a sidewalk.
    Can you believe that?? Hard tax dollars at work.

10. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

What a shame. I'm a member of several forums and have met many young members online that do a better job keeping fish than a lot of adults.

11. platy ben

I just turned 16 in february :p Do I do a good job? :D

This law is such a shame, and certainly a waste of money.

12. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Yep, Ben, ridiculous. Still, I wish that the LFS here would provide advice on the welfare of their animals. (I'm 13. Pretty old for a strand of pondweed, isn't it? lol)

13. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Hehe, this is exactly my point... I never would have guessed that you two were teens until you told us or talked about school or something! ;D

14. 7

7.3IDIDSL New Member Member

That is crazy. I dont think they have any laws like that around here.

The other sad part is this lady was fined, placed under a curfew and has to wear a tag all for selling a fish to a 14 year old. A drug dealer or gang member wouldnt even receive a sentence like that where I live.

15. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

This is the most ridiculous thing I ever read. :;smack

16. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

While I don't agree because I don't agree with any laws restricting our personal freedoms, is it really that unreasonable to require kids under 16 be accompanied by an adult when purchasing a pet? Owning a pet requires a commitment of time and money. There is an informal contract that by purchasing an animal, you will care for it and provide for it. It IS unlawful for minors to enter into contracts, and it cannot be assumed that those needs can be met unless an adult is present to give concent. That's probably the reasoning behind it, IMO.

Minors can't get a dog or a cat on their own (at least not in NJ - even before this law) for obvious reasons, so considder this a victory in the name of fish equality :)

The punishment was rediculous

17. jersey

jersey Valued Member Member

wow

Pet Store owner faces legal action over goldfish
    April 1: Msnbc’s Tamron Hall talks with pet store owner Joan Higgins about her violation of the Animal Welfare Act of 2006, by selling goldfish to a 15-year-old boy, and what limitations it has placed on her daily routine.

18. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm going off topic (sorry everyone), but both of you gentlemen show a great deal of responsibility in regards to your fish. I never would've guessed you both were teenagers.

I hope my daughter shows the same amount of responsibility when she becomes a teenager. You're excellent role models and it's a pleasure having you both on the forum.

19. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Jersey, your thread has been merged with Slug's since it's the same topic.

20. platy ben

*Wipes tear from eye* Awww :p One of the many reasons I love this forum! Such friendly people that you can really get to know :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice