Uncle..... About to give up on this

kmbishop111

Seriosuly ab to throw in the towel. Have lost all but 2 of my fish to unknown illness/disease. This was a few months back. Just completed a round of treatment for gram negative bacterial infections with little improvement. Trio of Metro, Kanaplex, and Nitrofurazone. Increased salt to .3%, lowered temp to 75, done all I know to do.

Tonight I moved my Angel and Serpae Tetra, who will NOT die btw, back to hospital tank and added salt. Trying to figure out what to do next. Pics of Angel in hospital tank.

Someone please help before I throw in the towel. I'm real close at the moment. I just want her well. Her fins are shreads, the red around her mouth is not getting better and I seriously don't know where to go from here.

A201

Stop the antibiotics. They rarely cure and can do more damage than good.
Keep the surviving two in the hospital tank. You might try a antiseptic type product like Pimafix or one of the Microbe lift products.
Big 50% water change & be sure the cycle hasn't crashed.
In a few weeks begin to gradually restock the display tank.
Prevention is always the best medicine. A completely cycled, well maintained tank & the selection of
vibrant, healthy fish goes a long way towards a successful aquarium community.
Hang in there.

kmbishop111

I agree on antibiotics, thats why I waited so long before treatment. But her fins are just tattered. I do believe WCs often heal most things. However, my display tank has a sand substrate of ab 4 inches. I believe a lot of debris is trapped in this and would like to remove a lot of it, say a third while they're in the hospital tank. Its a well established tank and I have media spread across 3 tanks along w sponge filters ready to go at a moments notice. I dose w 10% ammonia, a few drops every few days to match any bioload to keep bb alive. Thanks for your advice!! Im hanging.....by a thread.

Thunder_o_b

Each person can have very differing results with the products out there. On the very rare occasions I have needed to deal a sick fish with fin damage and apparent fungus or bacteria issues, I have found this product to be very effective.

This is from Petco. Microbe-lift ARTEMISS. There is another one in the line but I forget the name. The issue with these products is they are secretive about the ingredients.

kmbishop111

Each person can have very differing results with the products out there. On the very rare occasions I have needed to deal a sick fish with fin damage and apparent fungus or bacteria issues, I have found this product to be very effective.

This is from Petco. Microbe-lift ARTEMISS. There is another one in the line but I forget the name. The issue with these products is they are secretive about the ingredients.
Ya know, a couple other folks have mentioned the Artemiss w good results. Yes, secretive ingredients are a big red flag to me as well, but will research a bit further. Thanks.

Bwood22

Serpae Tetra, who will NOT die btw
I have an invincible Serpae tetra too. He came from Petsmart.
My wife thought she was rescuing fish from Petsmart and brought home a bag of 6 (different types of schooling fish, but just 1 each) tetras and then she dumped the entire bag of Petsmart fish and Petsmart water in the tank.:eek:

It was a struggle from then on. Dont ever ever ever dump the water in the bag in to your tank.
Everything died except the Serpae.

kmbishop111 is the tank completely cycled?

kmbishop111

Oh wow, dumped water and all huh? Yikes!! My hubby thought he was doing me a favor a cpl years back by "topping off a tank" No Prime, temp match, nada. We seperated shortly after that. Rofl.

Herman was from PS as well. Maybe I should get a tank full of Serpae's and Zebra Danios.;)

Yes, tanks have been established for years. One just happens to be the tank of death. I'll spare ya the long story. o_O

Here are a cpl pics of the last victims, when I lost my Cory cats, Harlequin Rasboras, Neon Tetras, other Serpaes. Bottom feeders wiped out first, then others followed. Was thinking Epistylis as was on their eyes as well as body and the thick substrate Im sure is a playground for bacteria.

You must be registered to see images
You must be registered to see images

kmbishop111

Well, I have taken the sand substrate from 4 in to 2 in and I feel like that will help A LOT. There was SO MUCH debris trapped in the substrate it was unreal. Im keeping Althea and Herman in hospital tank for maybe a month, to give me time to really gravel vac remaining sand in sections every 5-6 days. Plan on rescaping the tank as well during this process. Plan on adding a lot of Jungle Val, but can't get at my LFS's. Will have to find someone online. Are there any members here that sell plants?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mcasella
Replies
Views
BettaNovice101
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views