Un-cycled tank

Amnagrla

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Okay. I ran my tank for 3 weeks before putting any fish in. (I now know I should have waited longer.. but the Petco told me only to wait 2 weeks so I thought I was doing well by waiting an extra one.) I started with 3 platys. One jumped out of a small hole (RIP Ophelia) and then about 3 weeks later the last two died within 2 days of each other (Poopy and Flo). I also have two balloon molly's that I've had for about 2 weeks now. They seem fine.
I took a sample to the store and they said that my tank hasn't cycled yet... but I've had it running for about 2 months now. He told me to add 2 tablespoons of aquarium salt. They told me to come back with another water sample in a week.

Since Petco steered me wrong the first time and I ended up losing 3 fish... is there anything else I should do?

Amnagrla

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I ordered the API master kit. Should be here by the end of the day. :) So far, the two molly's haven't been having any problems yet. Fingers crossed!

Gargoyle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Molly's are tough fish and can normally handle the cycle process. There are other fish that can handle it as well..

The fact of the matter is that letting water sit for 3 weeks and doing nothing with it will produce absolutely NOTHING! Now that you have fish that you are feeding the cycle process will now begin. It normally takes about 4 weeks or longer to complete. First you will see an ammonia spike, then a Nitrite spike, then they will both subside and you will begin getting Nitrates. When it is finished you will have 0 ammonia - 0 Nitrites - and 5 or more reading n Nitrates. Do not allow your Nitrates to get above 30 or 40 or so.

Best advice I have for ya!

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Amnagrla
My tank took nearly 2 months to cycle... when your master kit gets in run every test and post your results as soon as you can and myself or someone else here will help you out, ok?

Amnagrla

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Awesome.... thanks a ton. I ordered it two days ago, it should be here by the end of the week. I'll post all my results!

~Amanda

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom