Un cycled 23l tank stocking ideas.

1. ashleighh28 Well Known Member Member

Hey guys my prime and stability is ordered and should be with me by Thursday its been a week since my tank has been restarted on Tuesday and I'm looking to stock it once I get my deliverys.
    could you guys give my some ideas on some plants and fishes ideal for a beginner and also a fish in cycle suitable. [​IMG]

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Really pretty design!! I think the only things you can put in a tank that size are a Betta or shrimp.

3. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

If you go with a betta, make sure your plants are betta-safe. From the picture, they look to be a hard plastic, which can tear a betta's delicate fins

4. ashleighh28 Well Known Member Member

Could I really not get anything else other then a betta?

5. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Youre looking at about 6g..so no.
    Pretty much your only options are a betta, shrimp, or snails

6. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

It's your best option, it'll be the most comfortable thing in such a small tank. That or a snail and shrimp tank. Maybe somebody can comment on a small fish appropriate but most small fish need schools which make their load higher and their size requirement larger.

7. ashleighh28 Well Known Member Member

I'm just finding it really hard finding somewhere local that stocks bettas.. Will I have to cycle my tank for both of these?

8. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Bettas can likely handle a cycle.
    Shrimp are more sensitive and not recommended.
    You do have prime and stability though so either could be pulled off if you don't wanna do fishless cycle.
    If there's ghost shrimp in your area they're likely dirt cheap and you could get like 3

9. ashleighh28 Well Known Member Member

Should I be using both stability and prime at the same time?
    And is it safe to add fish straight away?

10. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

The first thing you should do if you havent already, is read up on the Nitrogen Cycle. Make sure you understand it.
    If you dont yet have a liquid test kit, purchase one. You will need it to know when to do water changes and know when your tank has finished cycling

11. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

You definitely should use them at the same time and I'd probably treat your water with prime before you get the fish, if you haven't already. Then when you add the fish, also add stability.

Do you have a test kit, if not get one.

Whenever ammonia or nitrite goes above .50 do water change to get it down. Use prime in that water change. If it stays at .50 or under, you'll want to use prime every 24 hours.

You'll want to use stability daily.

Both have directions on how to use them. Stability only says to use it for a week but you can continue dosing it until cycled.

12. ashleighh28 Well Known Member Member

I have tetra test strips, I will be ordering the api test kit once I've finished them up. I've read not to change the water for two weeks then water changes after that?

13. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Nope that's TSS+ not stability. You can do changes with stability.

14. ashleighh28 Well Known Member Member

Okay so I can do water changes with fish in cycling if the nitrite or ammonia is too high.

15. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Yes exactly! I'm currently doing daily water changes for my tank with prime and stability. I just make sure to add the daily dose of stability AFTER I do water change so I get the whole dose.

16. Xavierdickenson Initiate Member

I was shattered when I found out I couldn't put most fish in my tank. So I have got some cherry shrimp now and they're so cool! At first I thought the tank looked empty but watching them play and feast was amazing. They also breed well so I'm hoping to get a few babies soon!
    Their a good option.

17. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

That's great!! Shrimp are awesome and interesting. You can feed them a slice of Zucchini.

18. Pikachu13131 Member Member

You could have a colony of least killifish.look them up they aren't the most attractive fish but they are a good starter fish and they will breed for you.

19. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I think killifish are recommended as at least 10 gallons for a group of 3

20. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

Love this tank set up! Betta would be the perfect fit. I want one like this more my red tail. Im cycling a 5g. For him right now.