Um...what are these?

Aloof

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So I just came home from work and noticed that I had left some residue when I cleaned the tank (the outside) with a paper towel yesterday to get rid of the water droplets from a water change.....riiiiiight. So, not bits of paper towel cuz they move. What is this?

They give me the Willies. They are on the glass and drifting around? But Mufasa seems unaffected. How do I get rid of them? What are they?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

The few I see moving are like thin, tiny white worms? And only on the glass. The ones floating don't seem to move besides....well, floating.

Additional info;
I feed him twice a day, not more than he can eat in a minute or two. I clean his tank once a week, yesterday was a larger water change due to the amount of tannins of the drift wood. He is alone in the tank along with a few stems of pearl grass and anubis that is waiting to be added to the driftwood.

Attachments

Last edited:

biller

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Those usually happen when there is to much food on the tank rotting. They are usually harmless. They are a type of nematode I believe.

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
―Dr. Seuss

Gekco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have those in my tank, as biller said they usually show up when you over feed your tank, i'm going through a cycle so I put fish food in my tank but I have fish in there now for about 2-3 weeks and they are fine. Nothing to really worry about just feed less food to your fish.

biller

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Random fact: baby fish love em

―Dr. Seuss

Gekco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Random fact: baby fish love em

―Dr. Seuss
Hm, I should put all of my baby's in my 29 gallon right now they would eat them all xD, unfortunately the barbs would probably eat them :/

biller

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What you could do is grab a paper towel and wipe the tank sides, then dip it into your fry tank

―Dr. Seuss

Aloof

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
But...I truly don't feed him much. Maybe the current carries away some food before he can eat it, but...I dunno. It's weird. But as long as they aren't harmful, okay. Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G920P using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

biller

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yup

―Dr. Seuss

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!