Um, is my crab lonely? Question

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by Charlemagne, Mar 21, 2010.

1. CharlemagneValued MemberMember

My brother got a little fiddler crab at Wal-Mart last summer to put in the fish tank. At first, he was teeeny tiny, and hid all the time. About 4 or 5 months ago, he grew big enough to feel comfortable around our giant goldfish, and started coming out more. He's been really fun to watch. We have a bridge thingy so that he can get out of the water, and feed him algae pellets occasionally. But now, for like the past month or so, he's been going to a high place (on our castle, or the underwater portion of the bridge) and doing a strange dance thing. He waves his claws above his head in weird jerky motions. My mom and dad joke that he's trying to be a Kung Fu fighter, lol! But, he's been doing this for weeks, with increasing regularity. Is he lonely? Should we get him another crab? Thanks for your help!

2. benjaminBreaker

benjaminBreakerValued MemberMember

Hmm...I don't know very much about crabs, but I would guess that it could be some sort of mating ritual. In which case, getting a mate for him would be a good idea. But be sure you get a female. Males will fight, and kill each other.

But like I said, I don't know very much about crabs, this is just my opinion. Somebody should come along eventually who knows enough about crabs to help you! :)

3. OP
    OP
    C

CharlemagneValued MemberMember

Yeah, we don't know much about crabs either, but that's what we're thinking too. We're going to get him a female as soon as Walmart has them again. That is unless someone else on here thinks it's a bad idea . . . . . .

4. benjaminBreaker

I see tons of crabs kept together at Petsmart all the time. Even if it doesn't need a mate, I'm sure it won't mind the company. But if you get him a mate, you may be able to expect some baby crabs! :D
    I would sell them.

Ya, but I would also take the crab you have now to an expert who can tell you for sure that it is male, and go to a place that has an expert that can tell you for sure that the crab you are getting is female.
    You must have a really nice Walmart, mine doesn't sell crabs...in fact, they only have like 6 tanks with goldfish and plecos in them. :;smack

EDIT: Actually, I went and did a little research, and learned that the only difference between male and female fiddler crabs is that the male has one normal claw and one huge claw, where females have two normal claws...fascinating! You probably already knew this, just forget what I said about the 'taking them to an expert' thing.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  5. thequietman44

thequietman44Valued MemberMember

I have a small "beach" tank with one male and one female fiddler. The male waves his big claw to attract the female, but so far she's pretty much been ignoring him :). Doesn't seem to put him off.

I started with just the male, but after a few weeks I got the female and the male started coming out a lot more and becoming lots more active. Gotta show the female what he's made of I guess :).

In my experience the best way to make any single creature more active is to introduce another creature of the same species. Maybe it gives them someone to hang out with, makes them feel safer, or maybe they just need to show off. Either way, I now prefer to keep more than one of everything unless it's dangerous to do so (bettas, crayfish, etc).

6. OP
    OP
    C

Ok, great! I'll get him some company! :) My Walmart has a pretty nice fish section. They have about 10-15 tanks, with neons, barbs, cyclids, oscars, and lots more. Thanks for all your help!

7. benjaminBreaker

I might try to get some crabs now. Sounds like it would be a very interesting pet to keep.

8. OP
    OP
    C

They are really interesting. But, you have to provide a way for them to get above the surface occasionally. In our tank, that means keeping the water level about and 1 1/2 below the top of the tank, which doesn't look too good. They are really neat to watch though.

9. thequietman44

My setup has a sloping crushed coral substrate for about a third of the tank, then sloping coral sand the rest of the way about 4" from the top (one big substrate slope). The water covers a little over half of the tank area, so there is about 1.5" of water in the center. There is a sand "pier" sticking out into the shallow water with a coconut hut on it, so roughly one third of the tank area is dry/damp sand, one third shallow water, one third deeper water with internal filter. We first tried the typical aquarium setup with something sticking up out of the water, but it just didn't look good. I should post a pic some time.

Also, you may already know this, but fiddler crabs do prefer slightly brackish water as they are not pure freshwater crabs. I keep the salinity around 1.008 in my tank, but I've heard they tolerate anything from 1.002 to 1.020. Of course, most people keep them in pure freshwater and they seem okay, but since I have just the crabs in that tank I figured I'd go with the brackish water.

10. OP
    OP
    C

Really? I didn't know they prefer brackish water. Hope our little guy's ok. But, he seems to be eating(my brother fed him some shredded chicken today for a treat) and moving around and stuff, so he's probably all right. Wow! That sounds like it is a really cool crab tank! We have a castle in our tank, and a "driftwood" bridge sticking out of the water a little ways. You should post a pic of your tank, that sounds really cool!

11. thequietman44

12. OP
    OP
    C

Cool! That is an awesome crab tank!!! Good job!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice