Um.. I Made An Impulse Buy, Please Help

Esimm03

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi,

So I went to my LFS today to pick up some snails for my 50l freshwater tank, I was looking through the plants section as I'm thinking of turning my fake reef into a planted as I'm getting a reef tank soon. I was just looking when I saw some riccia and I impulse bought it with the snails, I got it home, put in the snails. However I have no idea what to do with the riccia, I tried planting it in the sand bed but it kept on floating to the top, I ended up splitting it into 3 pieces and put one in a rock cave, the other is sandwiched between 2 pieces of rock, and the other is in a Maxima clam shell. Is this ok? Do I need anything else for it ?? I have LED lighting in the tank.

Thanks,
Ethan

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Riccia float on the surface, forming dense mats that are great fry cover. It's a wonderful plant, but you have to release it and let it go to the surface.

BeanFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Yeah Riccia isn't a plant you can bury into the substrate lol. You can either let it float or tie it to something like if it was moss. I would prefer to floating it and then when you get good growth grab some good pieces and tie them to stuff.

OP
Esimm03

Esimm03

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok, I've let one float and the other is in the shell.

f009ee9dd0e88a98d7681fdd4361c0e9.jpg

Do I need things like co2 in there?

Ethan

maggie thecat

Well Known
Reaction score
SE USA - not quite in the middle of nowhere, but d
Experience
More than 10 years
The only place I've been sucessful is in a 6 gallon betta cylinder. The tank is filtered with a pair of sponge filters. It's low light, just the LED in the lid plus ambient light. There's a long piece of driftwood that is propped up against the back wall. The riccia is laid over it at intervals.

It provides grazing / hiding for cherry shrimp and occassionally the betta rests against it.

OP
Esimm03

Esimm03

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
maggie thecat said:
The only place I've been sucessful is in a 6 gallon betta cylinder. The tank is filtered with a pair of sponge filters. It's low light, just the LED in the lid plus ambient light. There's a long piece of driftwood that is propped up against the back wall. The riccia is laid over it at intervals.

It provides grazing / hiding for cherry shrimp and occassionally the betta rests against it.
Ok, the piece that I put in the cave detached and is floating, it's settled in the middle (see s) will my ammano shrimp like it?

Also I've noticed bubbles forming around it, is this it producing oxygen?

Ethan

IMG_20170610_160223.jpg

60ec487ba73b87b0db7abb36c8f7bcd9.jpg

OP
Esimm03

Esimm03

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
maggie thecat said:
Shrimp love it. Anything they can pick at makes them happy. I don't know about the bubbles for sure, but that seems a good guess.
Ok, I was thinking of getting some Java moss but if riccia will do that's great

Either the bubbles are oxygen or they still have bubbles in the leaves from when I put it in

Ethan

Xbox62 said:
Ok, I was thinking of getting some Java moss but if riccia will do that's great

Either the bubbles are oxygen or they still have bubbles in the leaves from when I put it in

Ethan
Just noticed a shrimp lurking In the clam in a previous picture, guess they like the riccia

New Threads