Ultra hardy semi-aquatic/aquatic plants for a small pond?

User1

Me and my dad are planning an in-ground pond. Would be no bigger than 3 ft wide the spot really only gets 4ish hours of sun and I was hoping to get some plants in it. We live in Colorado and it gets down to 50 at coldest at night, 80-100 in the day. I would be wanting to either them come back every year or be able to have something I can bring back outside from my aquarium early in the season. What plants would work and were do I get them? Some things I know would work are mint and moss.
This certainly isn't my first rodeo with ferts, nitrogen cycle, plants, and etc as I own a aquarium.
Thanks for the help :)

Cue

Skunk cabbage are great semi-aquatic plants! It’s native to the U.S and practically unfreezeable (they make their own heat) and can tolerate higher temps. They like being constantly moist, usually in a couple inches of water. The only downside is they smell like, well, skunks; however it’s much milder.

User1

G
Skunk cabbage are great semi-aquatic plants! It’s native to the U.S and practically unfreezeable (they make their own heat) and can tolerate higher temps. They like being constantly moist, usually in a couple inches of water. The only downside is they smell like, well, skunks; however it’s much milder.
I'll add it to my list! Any ideas on were I can get them?

Cue

G

I'll add it to my list! Any ideas on were I can get them?
There’s some native plant nurseries that sell them, you could probably get some shipped to you. Just google “Skunk cabbage plants for sale.”
I wish you luck! Sounds like a fun project!

YellowGuppy

Native plants are definitely the easiest answer, if you can gather some safely and easily. Hornwort and elodea are both very hardy, and will survive under ice if needed. Add a few pond snails or bladder snails while you're at it!

User1

Native plants are definitely the easiest answer, if you can gather some safely and easily. Hornwort and elodea are both very hardy, and will survive under ice if needed. Add a few pond snails or bladder snails while you're at it!
Bit weary about snails bladder snails, I've had issues with them as pests in my aquarium and I don't trust bringing them into my aquarium every year. Are pond snails different with the insane egg laying?
Thanks for the plant advice too!

YellowGuppy

Oh, I figured with hardy enough plants you would never need to bring them into your aquarium to overwinter! I live in Canada and we have both bladder and pond snails wild where I live; both can survive under ice for months, so there shouldn't be any challenge keeping them alive outdoors year round.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ginger2209
  • Wendigoblue
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
Wendigoblue
  • Question
  • Skrabbitskrabbit
  • Ponds