Ulcer On Mouth? Goldfish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by tomocr, Apr 9, 2017.

  1. t

    tomocr New Member Member

    Hi all. Sorry to bother you all. I've had my 320ltr tank set up for well over a year now. 3 black moors, and 2 fancies. The white one today, I noticed a wee growth on the side of his mouth. It appears white at the crown but the main part is pink pretty much. John, the large black moors has a whit mark next to his eye.
    I changed out the rocks last night (I have 2 sets on rotation for algae control). My normal routine of soaking in bleach overnight to kill algae, then soaking again overnight in dechlorinated water. I've done this routine for over a year with no problems. I'm hoping he's just gone a bit mental with his eating and may have cut his mouth but that's me being optimistic. Seeing as John also has a small amount of white on him, I'm a tad worried that there may be a bacterial or fungal infections in the tank. I've added a photo from my phone but should be able to get a better pic once the old dlsr is charged.
    Sakes. All this time, not a single ailment with my fish and then this pops up just as I'm about to crack open a bottle of vino.
    Any ideas much appreciated folks.
    Gaz.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. OP
    OP
    t

    tomocr New Member Member

    D75_1464-648x432.JPG Please forgive his depressed look, he's actually quite lively still. Nothing on his fins, scales look normal, amazing appetite as usual.
     
  3. Fanatic

    Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

    I've read that there can be several different causes to why it happened.

    Water Quality - Unbalanced Water Quality can lead to this problem. Not sure what your levels are at.
    Spawning - If its a female, it can get ulcers because of that.
    Infection - He could have an infection, and needs to be treated immediately.
     
  4. OP
    OP
    t

    tomocr New Member Member

    Carrying out a water check now...
     
  5. Fanatic

    Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

    Buying one?

    Or testing?
     
  6. OP
    OP
    t

    tomocr New Member Member

    Testing
    Ooft. Started with Nitrate. I use 3 kits from different manufacturers. Normally I get a very light pink. First 2 tests and the results were scarlet. Didn't even bother to put it against the chart!
    Starting a 50% WC right now...
     
  7. Fanatic

    Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

    Good, let me know after.
     
  8. OP
    OP
    t

    tomocr New Member Member

    Well. It's been a while. All water conditions are good but the girlfriend pointed out this morning that it looks like this growth is getting bigger. It also appears to be inside the poor guys mouth. I'm not sure what it is so I don't know what to treat him with. I've never been a fan of chemical treatments but if its a parasite or bacterial infection, I'll have no choice especially as the water tests come out good. I've treated with salt (I always add salt to the tank anyway). The other 4 fish have no defects so I'm swaying to the idea that it might not be a parasite or bacterial problem seeing as this was noted quite some time ago.
    Just wondering if there are any thoughts on what this could be so I can take the right action. Cheers everyone.
     

    Attached Files:





  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice