[UK Specific] Large container to hold water

devsi

I currently use a 25 Litre container with a 4mm opening, but I’m looking for something >= 100 Litres with a bigger opening so I can fit a Transfer Pump inside.

It doesn't need to be easy to move around; I'll probably move it close to my house, fill it with water, heat it overnight and then use it via the Transfer Pump the next day.

Preferably something that doesn't cost the earth. I've looked at Plastic barrels / HDPE barrels, but they're not exactly cheap.

Edit: There are some decently priced Plastic/HDPE barrels on eBay but, for obvious reasons, they're collection only and none are near to me.

Coradee

I’ve heard of people using water butts or even plastic dustbins that may suit your purpose, you’d have to check what they’re made of though as some wouldn’t be suitable. I see some research in your future ;)

carsonsgjs

I was thinking something like a wheelie bin would do the job. You can get a 120 litre one for about 30-40 quid, or for free if you tell the council someone has pinched yours!

devsi

I’ve heard of people using water butts or even plastic dustbins that may suit your purpose

Huh, I hadn’t thought of a bin, but it would be plenty big enough that’s for sure!

you’d have to check what they’re made of though as some wouldn’t be suitable

Am I just looking for whether it can hold water, or does it need to be food grade etc? I’ve read conflicting information about what’s actually needed for the health of the water.

I was thinking something like a wheelie bin would do the job
or for free if you tell the council someone has pinched yours!

How weird, somebody has literally just nicked mine! Guess I’ll have to get another one, free of charge! What a pity!
Thank you both :) Coradee carsonsgjs

A201

Shop your local farm & ranch store.
Rubber or plastic feed buckets as well as good sized tubs are usually stocked & relatively inexpensive.

devsi

Shop your local farm & ranch store.
Rubber or plastic feed buckets as well as good sized tubs are usually stocked & relatively inexpensive.

Thanks A201 ! I’m not sure what the UK equivalent of a “farm & ranch store” is, but I’ll have a look around for a feed bucket :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JimSinclair
  • Question
Replies
Views
Catappa
Replies
Views
angelcraze
Replies