Uhhhhhh What Did I Do Wrong? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MileyMorkie, May 19, 2019.

1. MileyMorkie Valued Member Member

Ok this tank was originally for Yoshiki but plans backfired after dropping an algae wafer into my snail aquarium. This tank now serves as a medical and defect aquarium for my fish. This aquarium is a 1.5 gallon by Tetra, the snails that were in there we accidentally killed with the ammonia (well actually my dad did). I don't get why the water is murky, the last few days it has been more clear but that fowl smell still shrouds it. My 29 gallon aquarium is starting to get murky too and I got a new hang on the back filter, did a few water changes, added assassin snails and vacuumed the substrate. They are heavily stocked, I can't really change that.

The medical tank's issue is the tan murky water that is fowl, the white worms and where the heck did the tank go wrong. For some reason my ramshorn snails aren't eating a lot of the leftovers in fact I am confuse on all of it. I dumped maybe more beneficial bacteria then I should in there but they don't seem to be doing much. I got LONG white worms everywhere, they are moving the same way as a 5mm wide planaria would! I have had these things in my tanks but never to this degree and never had them this long. they are about 1 cm in length half a millimetre in width. I don't do water changes on this tank, it's too risky with the weak inhabitants that reside in there. I haven't tested the water, and I do not have a kit yet.

For the life of me just don't ask or say "flat" or "round" worms or on their shape because they are not easy to figure out. Please only refer to them as Planaria and Detritus Worms. This'll help me understand what you mean.

What am I doing wrong BESIDES THE BIO LOAD OR STOCKING? How do I control this tan murky water? Are the long small white worms planaria or detritus worms?

2. Marimo New Member Member

Those are detritus worms. The fact that you are feeding your fish things like "skin tags" and already dead fish might have to do with the tan, murky and foul smelling water. Apparently you are doing the same to another tank as well now. Do the "weak inhabitants" a favor, and either move them to someplace clean or give them back to the fish store. You need to do A LOT more research on aquariums and fish before you get anymore. Some of the stuff you are doing is basically animal cruelty. Sorry to have to be so blunt, but enough is enough!

3. MileyMorkie Valued Member Member

I started with ELEVEN guppies, through genetics one has a prolapsed butt, and the rest have scoliosis. I am working on getting the healthy offspring to new homes, I keep procrastinating. Can you not bring up the stupid thing I did with my betta outside of the pricey feeding thread! I can't get anymore aquariums I don't have the room and dad said no. I do water changes but I've got a leg that keeps shifting out of position and a bad back. I can't drive, I don't have a job and I still got school.

4. david1978 Fishlore Legend Member

Water changes will be your best bet. Its what keeps a tank healthy. I know its not what you want to hear but there is no miracle liquid that will fix it. Detritus worms eat left overs. Both fish waiste and food. Gravel vac helps pull them out of the substrate and remove both them and their food.

5. TheBettaSushi Well Known Member Member

Wait, you have assassin snails, ramshorns and a betta in your 29? Are you sure your betta is the one eating the baby ramshorns? Because people usually put in assassin snails to control an overpopulation of snails... assassin snails are just that.. assassins. They eat other snails.

As far as everything else, detritus worms are caused by overfeeding, and detritus (decaying matter) hence why they’re called detritus.

Every tank needs a weekly water change. It doesn’t matter what type of inhabitants you have. Fresh clean dechlorinated water removes toxic waste such as left over food and ammonia/nitrite spikes as well as nitrates (anything over 20ppm can start to affect fish/invertebrate health). The more sensitive or “weak” they are, the more they’ll need fresh dechlorniated water. Fresh water also puts back mineral content that is needed to keep a tank healthy. If your tank smells foul and has a murky color, it’s because it’s dirty and needs a good gravel vac and a water change to remove decaying matter which is what is causing the murkiness and smell.

What you have are detritus worms (from everything you’ve stated) and overdosing of bacteria doesn’t cause it. You don’t need beneficial bacteria if your tank is cycled... the reason why people use beneficial bacteria in their tanks is to help kickstart a new tank.

Water changes and vacuuming the gravel will get most of the worms out. You’ll always have worms in an established tank. A few of them are actually beneficial to have as they eat decaying matter but if you see them above the gravel is when there is a problem. In your case, no water changes and gravel cleaning is the cause.

6. MileyMorkie Valued Member Member

Kind of fixed it. The murk tint wasn't a true ammonia spike it was just failure of the filters and water changes. The bettas aren't in the 29 gallon, though I think they could thin the number of fry. I just did major water changes and saw some change. If I were to put it to scale of the colour, it was the green/tan tint of a lake, creek, or pond but not as dense.

Though I still don't understand if detritus worms are bad. I am doing another vacuuming in a few hours.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2019
  7. david1978 Fishlore Legend Member

They are harmless. Unsightly but harmless.

8. MileyMorkie Valued Member Member

So visually unattractive?

9. SarahBear1009 Valued Member Member

I don't think the consensus is that detritus worms are necessarily "bad". Fish will eat them and whatnot, but it's more of an indicator that more tank maintenance needs to be done.

10. david1978 Fishlore Legend Member

Yea. Visually unatractive.

11. TheBettaSushi Well Known Member Member

Not necessarily. They come because of an over abundance of detritus (left over food, waste, decaying driftwood, plants, etc). Almost all of us have worms... it’s normal and beneficial for a healthy tank. They help clean up waste for you. I have tiny specks of them on my glass and they come from my nerite because he’s a constant pooper and if I don’t do daily siphoning of poop they’ll show up. They also show up because of the lack of oxygen I have in my tank as I have had to baffle my filter for my betta. However, he snacks on them like they’re French fries! Lol

If you see too much all over the place, it means your tank isn’t balanced somewhere. In your case, I told you why in my previous comment.

Just keep doing water changes and vacuuming them out. Do this every other day for a week to keep the population down. When your tank is balanced again, they’ll stay under the gravel and you won’t see them again.

12. MileyMorkie Valued Member Member

Thanks for all the support!
    I do want to ask... How do I not vacuum up my fry or other fish? There's been a time I accidentally syphoned up an adult male guppy, both yesterday and today I caught four guppy fry in the process.
    I asked a while about assassin snails causing ammonia spikes because that's slightly how a tank got destroyed over my vacation. I didn't vacuum it much because it was in my room but as soon as I get my bettas some shrimp tank-mates I'll be doing more work in my room.

13. Fishcat Well Known Member Member

Some people rubber-band a piece of pantyhose to the end of their siphon, but I find that too much poop gets left behind if I do that. I would suggest letting the water run through a net before it goes into the bucket or whatever you use to catch the old water. If there isn’t a big difference between height of the intake and the outlet ends of your siphon, the ride should be gentler for anybody who does get sucked up.

14. MileyMorkie Valued Member Member

I don't have room between the vacuum and bucket to catch them sadly. I did try shooing them away from the area I need to clean before activating the vacuum but guppies are kind of stupid. Does colder water decrease my chances of guppies breeding rapidly? If that doesn't stop them, will my bettas do the trick?
    I should mention that destroyed tank was themed to be pollution/habitat destruction. Ironic... I didn't put anything that would harm the life in that tank.

15. david1978 Fishlore Legend Member

When I bred guppies it was at room temp. Didn't seem to slow them down at all. A betta might eat some fry but probably isn't the best candidate since they are slow swimmers. I had a hungry Oscar for all the extras.

16. TheBettaSushi Well Known Member Member

Yep. The only way to catch them is either using a net where old water goes into a bucket or do your best to shew them away. A panty hose/mesh won’t work especially if you’re trying to siphon out detritus worms.

17. MileyMorkie Valued Member Member

Ok. Thanks for the help! I'll let you know if there's anything else I need help with.