Uh OH!!!!!!!!!!!

1. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

:eek: I just looked in my betta tank and I have a snail!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure this will not be the only one, right?

??? :-\

2. Jon Well Known Member Member

you might get an infestation... just remove the snails and lower your feedings a bit.

3. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

grr ! how did they get there? they can't just appear can they?

4. Jon Well Known Member Member

snails are magic ^,^

mebbe on a plant you bought?

5. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

nope - no real plants (yet) - I find it so hard to believe that it came in with one of my fish!

6. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Sometimes they come in on a plant.  It doesn't hurt anything.  Just pick them out and throw them away when you see them.  I had a few and then they just stopped.  If you get an infestation there is something you can get but I don't even remember what it is called because I never needed it.

Rose
    :D

7. Jon Well Known Member Member

the chemicals dont work but i hear loaches eat snails i think... i think it was loaches?

8. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I doubt my catfish will eat them, but maybe my frogs will (since supposedly they eat Anything that fits in their mouth) But I am not sure i want to add loaches to a 10 gallon. I did hear that about them tho.

9. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

nothing in your tank was used in another tank where live plants ever were?  usually the eggs are laid on plants and carried into the aquarium that way.  

I suppose one of the fish could have carried a snail egg in but not really likely.

Rose
    :D

10. Jon Well Known Member Member

lol sry i didnt know it was a 10 gallon

11. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

well i heard that bettas would eat them if you smash them on the glass of the tank too, but not my picky boy.   ;)  i just take them in my fingers and throw them in the trash.

Rose

12. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

lol, it's quite alright Jon -- don't expect you to know everything ;)

rose, I bought everything brand new, so i guess it had to be carried in from a fish?

I will keep it in there for a little while longer and see if my frogs don't devour it. lol

13. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

This is what I feed on a daily basis 4 small betta pellets, that he eats up right away in the morning.

In the afternoon, i feed about 6 small live black worms. My betta usually gets 1 or 2, sometimes he doesn't get any but my frogs eat the rest.

After lights out, I feed 1 shrimp pellet for my cats.

Do you think I should cut this down?

14. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Just a suggestion, the pellets are constipating for Bettas even though they do make their colors stand out better. You may not want to give more than 2 pellets a day and supplement with freeze-dried bloodworms (5 or 6 in a day). They will try to make you feel guilty and like you are starving them, but believe me the problems of an overfed or constipated Betta are not problems you want to have to handle. The little gluttons will snatch them up as fast as they hit the water so you shouldn't have to worry about overfeeding if you cut back to that amount. The other worms may be the source of the snail if they are fresh or frozen. The eggs could easily have come in with live food.

Rose
    ;)

15. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

true true.. i guess that they could have come with the black worms, although it's just like a big pool of them in a small dixie cup lol.

Thanks for the great advice, Rose -- I will try that with Mitch.

Jaime

16. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

What do these snails look like EmpPleco? How large are they?

17. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

SO far I can only see one (thank god) and I am waiting to see if my frogs will eat it. But it is VERY tiny and a kind of bland red color. It has the big slimey body with the tiny slimey head and those little antenna like things coming off his head.. lol

sorry Im not so good with the descriptions :-\ :D

18. maybet Initiate Member

;D That's the best snail description I have ever heard...but is is slimey?? ;D

19. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

lol is it slimey? hehe it looks slimey but i havent touched it :-\ dont wanna, lol