Uh oh....water main break!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissMTS

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
There was a water main break last night in the area that many of our students live in. It is affecting a ton of residential areas and businesses in our area. People are having to boil their water before they drink it.

I didn't think it would be a problem at my work because we don't drink water out of the faucet or bathe here, lol. I just went to do my water change on my dwarf puffer tank, and when I went to refill the tank I thought......wait....I am not sure if our water is safe! We did not receive a warning call in regards to the break like everyone else, but since houses right across the street from our business recieved the call, I don't want to risk filling my fishtank with contaminated water. Now the tank is only 75 percent full and I am waiting for my husband to bring a jug of purified water so that I can fill the tank back up. My poor DP's are trying to swim to the top of the tank, but any time they get close, the waterfall coming out of the filter output flings them back down to the bottom! Poor little guys.

When I add the purified water, do I still need to add a dechorinator? Will it change the pH of my tank? I have never dealt with anything like this before, so any help is appreciated.

bettafish2816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
aw your poor puffers

i'd use the dechlorinator for the purified water to be cautious. i honestly have no idea if it will change your pH, i suppose it depends on what the pH of your tank is now. i've never dealt with anything like this, but using the purified water is probably your best option even though there aren't as many minerals in it and that sort of thing.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's a good thing you realized before you added the new water. Odd they didn't notify the businesses.
I've never used purified water. Before adding it to your tank it would be a good idea to check the ph so you don't run into problems with that.
Unless someone else has knows about purified water, I'd say it wouldn't hurt to add dechlorinator. (you might not need it though)

I wonder if it would be ok if you boiled the water before adding it to your tank. Used to do that years ago.

MissMTS

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks so much for the advice guys! I think I will just add the purified water with the dechlorinator. I can't boil the water because we don't have a stove in our office lol. Hopefully since its only 25 percent of the water it won't affect the pH too much. Our ph is about 7.8 so the purified water might lower it a little bit but hopefully my puffs will be okay.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just go slowly, do you have a test kit at work?

MissMTS

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes I do. I actually brought one with me today! I just got the purified water so I'll add it slowly and test the ph as I go. Thanks so much for the help! I'll let you know how it goes

Tavel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
you can add a bit of baking soda to stabilize the pH

I found this on the web:

"How much to use depends on the present buffering capacity of your water. I
think ~240 ppm is about right for most systems and each .5 tsp adds around 60
ppm per 10 gallons. I'd suggest getting a test kit for carbonate hardness and
add and test, add and test until you get the level you want.

Do dissolve the baking soda in dechlorinated water first, of course."

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.9601/msg00061.html

MissMTS

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks for all the help guys I added the dechlorinated purified water into the tank and the fish seem to be fine. The pH only dropped to 7.6 from 7.8 which is not as bad as it could have been. I am going to keep an eye on things tonight and see how it goes though.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Great, not too much of a ph difference. Good luck, let us know how things work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom