uh oh my otto!

Discussion in 'Otocinclus' started by anticon, Apr 22, 2012.

1. anticon

anticon Valued Member Member

Hey guys!

I bought 3 ottos a week a go and they were all doing fine.. but today one is acting very strange. He is lying on his side, swimming up and falling down. Ive been watching him for the last hour and i just had to turn the filter off because he got stuck to the intake bit..

everyone else in the tank is fine ( 6 Serpae, 6 Haelquin rasbora and my SAE )

Im pretty sure he isnt going to make it.. I don't have a QT tank.. should i take him out now? he just got stuck to the filter again!

water tests NO2 0.0 NO3 <10

cant test for amonia (long story)

so take him out or leave him in?

2. OP
    OP
    anticon

OK .. He just went really crazy and then died. I had to race to get him before the shrimp..

Do you think there is anyting i should be looking out for? obviously I'm going to keep a close eye on the other two..??

Thanks anyway!

3. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

I have read that it is not uncommon to loose an Otto during first month - they are really sensitive fish. If they survive the first month, the chances of surviving longer are much better.

4. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

I've heard that too. The first few weeks are tough for ottos, then they're fine. Watch your other ottos. I'm sorry this one died.

5. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I keep otos. It's true, as stated above, that they are fragile and it's not unusual to lose one or two during the first few weeks.

6. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I have seven ottos in the tank and they are very sensitive for the first few weeks. I also know they prefer to be in groups so if you can get a couple more. Remember to slowly acclimatize them to your tank when you purchase more.

7. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Remember to also QT all new fish.

8. r

ray_sj Valued Member Member

Is there enough algae for them to eat in your tank? If not, you should feed them algae wafers or some other green vegetables, such as zucchini, cucumber, lettuce, spinach, etc. They need to constantly eat. Their bellies should stick out a little bit if they have been getting enough. If they do not get enough food, the bacteria in their digestive tract die and they starve to death.

9. OP
    OP
    anticon

thanks for the info.. yeh i think theres enough algae there is only them and a couple of snails that are cleaning the glass the sae just likes the plants n rocks.. I hide boiled cucumber once a week in the tank the sae likes it but i havent seen them go for it yet.. Ill have to wait for my LFS to get some more in...

thanks again

10. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, sorry for your loss :console:

:animal0068: I have moved your thread to the Oto Forum so others might learn from your experience. Again sorry for your loss.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice