Uh oh he's dieing I think

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My betta denny is not doing well at all, I think he is dieing. He sits under a plant then swims up to only get air and he didn't eat last night. I think he pretty much killed himself from flaring at himself non stop for 3 days. I'm gona test the water, and see what I can do for him, I thought I would just let you guys know real quick.

Austin :'(

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Man my readings went wacko FAST. Ammonia:.5, Nitrites:.5 Nitrates:0. My plants are growing like crazy, tank looks crystal clear, everything is in order, it doesn't smell at all, and I wake up to a almost dead fish who now is dead. It went crazy fast, any clue on how'd this happen, I didn't do any major water changes either. My best bet is that he was tired and stressed from seeing his reflection and flaring non-stop and when the levels went wacko that's what did him in.?????

Austin

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It sounds like your tank wasn't completely cycled for some reason or the cycle reversed itself. He probably died of ammonia poisoning. Small tanks are known for this. I am so sorry. This is the main reason that I try to persuade folks not to try the small tanks. They are very fragile environments and it does not take much to make them lethal.

I am so sorry, Austin. I know this is a hurtful thing to have happen. You have my sympathies. It seems that we are losing so many little buddies lately. It is so sad indeed.

Rose :'(

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
My goodness. There are so many sick fishies these days.

My thoughts are with everyone who is going through issues like this! :'( :'( :'( :'(

ecnaj143

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You know, I was talkin to someone at petsmart. We started talkin about how fish aren't as hardy as they use to be. I remember when I was like 10 and I wanted some fishies. So my mom when out a bought me a 5gal tank and put 2 gold fishes in there. They lived for like 6 yrs. Now, I bought some guppies not to long ago(and guppies are suppose to be one of the toughest fishes out there). They lived for like 3 weeks. So I took my water to have someone else check it, they said that my water was perfect. I'm thinkin of goin to salt water, those fishes are hardier I think.

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
ecnaj143 i agrea with you. I think alot goes to the people who breed the poor fish. Big companies dont care about them the just wont the profit! They also dont take care of them corectly so they have shorter lifespans and are not helthy..... its ashame!

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ya that's the problem with most store bettas and other fish, you go in there and they are so depressed and weak. I'm almost positive it's the flaring non-stop that did him in. I had a betta before I knew better in a little tank a little less than a gallon and I didn't change his water for a month and he survived then I moved him to my big tank and he lived for almost another year after a few months in the little tank, and he lived quite healthy. I guess I might have gotten a weak betta or something but I think the combination of the ammonia and the flaring did him in. I don't know, guess we won't know for sure. Either way I'm gona get my levels back down and make sure they stay down for a couple weeks and try to find a store that doesn't sell them in cups, if not, I'l have to try my best at picking out a good one.

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
Where do you live because there are many breeders out there if you have enough $$.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
what I did with mine is i had a mate in another tank next to Inari's (Tenshi his mate has passed to the aquarium in the sky...) but when he was down i would set her next to him and he would be happy again just a thought if u want females who don't usually fight each other pls correct me if i'm wrong pick the two healthiest brightest females and put them in a decent tank. just a thought sorry about ur loss tho and make sure u have like a 10 gallon if its just two females if u have more u might want bigger

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are a few requirements for keeping female Bettas. First, they really do need to be bought in 3's because they will bully each other until a dominant female is determined and for some strange Betta reason this is how they are happiest. (It is hard on a Betta Mom to watch the bullying but they do get over it eventually) You need to make sure you buy them all at the same time and they all should be the same size, no adults and fry mixed together or the fry will not survive. The big ones won't actively kill the smaller ones - they just won't let them eat.

Then as far as buying from breeders is concerned, I believe in buying Bettas from breeders but the time of year makes it inadvisable at this time. The boxes that they are shipped in ride around in the vans with other parcels and become very hot inside. Spring and Fall are the best times to get fish online and from breeders where you cannot pick them up in person. The chances of a live delivery are much improved during those months. I would almost rather see a fish shipped during the winter than during the summer.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
i did not know that about females....that might be y she died because she was lonely and the stress just helped her condition along....anyway thanx for the advise u learn something new everyday !!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom