Uh oh... Here we go again...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by bettamars, Jul 25, 2015.

1. bettamars

bettamars Valued Member Member

So about a week or so ago I posted a thread about a problematic harlequin rasbora who wouldn't close his mouth (might have had a piece of food stuck). Well, while I went on vacation I had my sisters watch as I expected him to die (and he did). So today I went to the LFS and got a few new fish, one of them being a replacement rasbora. Now I made the mistake of not looking too closely before I left and now I'm home and noticed this rasbora doing sort of the same thing... His mouth is open and it almost looks as if there's a chunk missing from under his mouth or something. I tried my best to get a picture of it. I'm in the middle of doing a water change before I float the bags (it's taking a little longer than normal as I'm trying to find the right temp since we just got a new bath tub installed which is whee I fill my buckets) and I'm not sure if it's anything bad, if I should risk putting him in there. I can't go back to the LFS right now, so I'm torn on what to do... I tried my best to get pictures but it's hard since he's acting pretty normal and is decently active in the bag. What would you suggest I do?

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437850283.948703.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437850376.248769.jpg

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I'd return him to the Lfs if you can he looks very skinny, unless it's the camera angle, so it looks like he isn't able to eat properly.

3. OP
    OP
    bettamars

Now that you mention it, he does look pretty skinny. I can't go to the LFS again today since my parents are out running errands again, they just dropped me home with my fish. So do you think He could be of detriment to the other fish? It doesn't look like he has anything contagious like ich, so do you think I could keep him in the tank and see how he does and if he doesn't make it through the week, I can return him and get a replacement for free?

Here I got a better picture sorta and I put a line on where his mouth is and the part that looks like a "chunk" bitten off or something... ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437852698.607429.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2015
  4. Coradee

I wouldn't risk putting him in the tank with your other fish, do you have a quarantine tank or fish safe tub you could put him in?

5. OP
    OP
    bettamars

Nope unfortunately... I could put him in a 5 gallon bucket but I don't have a filter or heater for him...

6. Coradee

A clean tub like an ice cream tub would do, you could float it in the tank to keep the water warm until you can return him to the Lfs

7. pritam

pritam Valued Member Member

ya..completely agree
    ....and 1 more suggestion....please take time to watch your fish closely and then buy it.
    dont but any skinny fish....most of the time they are unhealthy or having TB.

8. OP
    OP
    bettamars

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437853487.920709.jpg

I cousin this sterilite tub in the basement. I took the sticker off, but it came off easy and didn't seem to leave a residue (at least that I can feel or see) so I rubbed off the area with tap water to be sure and rinsed it out with tap to get rid of any dust from the basement. Would this be okay to fill about half-ish full and float in there?

9. Coradee

As long as it hasn't had any chemicals or soap in it should be ok

10. OP
    OP
    bettamars

Yep, I realized I made a mistake as soon as I saw. Definitely learned my lesson. I got a little too antsy because I was excited for the other two fish I bought. A beautiful red honey gourami and a pretty Bolivian ram. I'm about to put the honey and ram in right now and then put the harlequin in the tub. The think is that she asked which one I wanted (they only had about 3 left) and I pointed at 2 that would be okay because just looking at the 3rd one it didn't look great from the quick glance I gave and I think that's the one she ended up getting out since she just gave me the first one she caught :/ I'll give the fish a full stare down next time though!

I don't think it has. I'm going to try as its all I have at the moment. Thanks for all the help!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2015
  11. pritam

hm...it happened with me also and ended up with fish having sunken belly...
    its little hard to control the excitement and give full attention to the fish...next time...good luck.
    ya...you can use the tub but dont forget to WC.

12. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

You may want to call the store to let them know you will be returning it. They may take note that you called them within just a short while. It really depends on their return policy. My LFS has a 24 hour limit and in the past if it was too close to closing time I just called and they said to just bring it in as soon as I could for a refund.

13. OP
    OP
    bettamars

My LFS has a 7 day policy where they'll take fish, dead or alive, and either refund or replace provided you have a water sample and they make sure your parameters aren't the problem. How often would you suggest changing the water?

I'm not sure he's gonna make it so far cause he's not too active anymore unless I scare him by coming too close. I'm assuming the reason he was pretty active in the bag was because it was scary. He won't eat anything so I've had to remove the food after a minute or so.

I'll see if I can return him tomorrow but if I can't I might have to keep him until I can return him and get another replacement.

14. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Do you know anything about tb or making arbitrary comments?
    Skinny fish can be from a number of reasons, most of which are not as serious as fish tb. If he got A fish with tb from a pet store, the entire stock is likely infected since most large systems have a single filtration system.

Btw, hardening of the mouthand decay is a classic symptom of columnaris, a common but deadly bacterial infection.

15. OP
    OP
    bettamars

He doesn't seem too skinny, But probably a little skinnier than the others I have at the moment although, he is a bit smaller than most of the ones I have and maybe the camera angle makes him look a little skinnier than he is.

I don't know much about fish diseases other than ich, swim bladder, and dropsy, so I'd just like to know if columnaris is contagious so that I know whether or not I should get a replacement (as they would come from the same tank) or just get my money back and keep the 7 I have for a while and then get the last one. I'm not sure if they have a filtration system for all the tanks, but they probably do (lots of tanks!). So I don't think it would be fish TB because my ram and gourami are doing really well so far (they like to swim together, it's so cute!).

16. Sarcasm Included

Yes columnaris is contagious and can wipe out a full tank of fish if not caught and treated fast enough. Return the fish for a refund and wait for at least a couple weeks. When you decide to get more look closely at all the fish in the tank for obvious signs of disease.

17. pritam

im introducing the worst case scenario.
    i encounter tb thrice....and all these fish were super skinny and even providing enough variety diets they crawl to death. so for my case as soon as i see "super" skinny fish, i dont dare to buy it...
    whatever the reason behind their sickness, i surely prefer not to buy them.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  18. Sarcasm Included

Three tines? Wow you must be incredibly unlucky to have gotten tb three times, when it is so uncommon for outbreak. It must have been expensive to have the results confirmed by a lab and to nuke and replace your tank.

19. pritam

hm...to enjoy success in this hobby, with lots of dedication we need luck a bit.
    ya...its really unlucky to have fish tb thrice...:(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice