uh oh! heater question

windymeadow

Reaction score
I bought a heater for 4 gallon tank from walmart. It is a 50 watt heater, is that too much for 4 gallons?

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Greetings windymeadow, welcome to the forum.

Answering your question is not cut-and-dry.  Some would say you need 10 watts per gallon, meaning that you'd need a 40 watt heater.  I don't know of the availability of 40 watt heaters, but a 50 watt would be fine.  Others would say that a 25 watt heater would suffice.

Being totally submersible and having an actual thermostat control, not just high or low settings, are two good features to have in an aquarium heater.

Out of curiosity, what brand is the heater?

Mike

windymeadow

Reaction score
Thanks for your help! It says Tetra Whisper Heater on the box and then under that, for 2-15 gallon aquarium. I just don't completely trust something bought from Walmart. The Bettas there look so miserable.

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Bettas at Wal-Mart do look miserable.

Are you seeking to use the Tetra Whisper Heater in a BiOrb.  (I responded to this thread before seeing the other one.)

Mike

windymeadow

Reaction score
Yeah bear with me, I am overanxious with the posting.  I have the heater in there at the moment. I just set it in the bottom because the suction cup won't stick to the the side ( too round).  Of course it looks stupid so I am looking for something better. It can't be adjusted up or down and it is supposed to stay at 78 degrees, that seems somewhat suspicious. Thanks for your help, Robyn

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You will not be happy with this heater and it will not meet your needs. Sometimes Bettas need to have their temperature raised to accomodate medications but in the normal everyday swing of things they really should be kept close to 80 all the time. 78 is kind of the very lowest end of the temperature range for them. I cannot believe that they are kept unheated in places, it is inhumane...

Rose

windymeadow

Reaction score
Thanks again Rose! What a relief to talk to someone who can answer my questions. I will get a new one A.S.A.P!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have owned 3 or 4 different Tetra Whisper heaters and they ALL malfunctioned on me--either jacked the temp up and nearly fried my fish, or turned off and nearly froze them. So yes probably a good idea to get a different one.

The rule I have heard for heaters is 5 watts per gallon--which would mean 25 watts for a 5 gallon tank. You shouldn't need anything more than that if you get a good brand of heater.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Heaters are not something you want to skimp on. Skimp on the decorations, gravel, plants and what ever else but not your heater. You can even get by with a cheaper filter and tank but the heater is IMPORTANT.

I would recommend a Visi-therm heater...either a Stealth or a Deluxe. They both have LIFETIME warranties and that means they make them GOOD. They do not want to have to replace them for free so they do it right the first time.

I have 25 watt heaters in my 5 gallon tanks and am putting 50 watt in my 12 gallons as that is what was recommended by the folks who manufacture them. I am considering putting a second one at the other end of the tank.
But 25 watts will heat a 5 gallon just fine but 50 watts will not overheat.

Rose

windymeadow

Reaction score
I don't know what I would do with out this forum. Thank you everyone, it just knocks my socks off that everyone is so nice and the help is greatly appreciated. Robyn

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
chickadee said:
Heaters are not something you want to skimp on.
Yes, I learned that the hard way!! Just a note, you can get the Stealth heaters at Petsmart...I don't know if you have that store or not. Be prepared to spend 25 or 30 bucks for one but it is completely worth it (at least that's how much my Petsmart charges...).

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Robyn. It is so good to have another fish-lover join this forum. The people on here actually saved my first betta's life with their prompt and educational advice. You are right, everyone on here is extremely helpful.

CherryRose ;D

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know, the Tetra Whisper Filters worked very well for me though. You can adjust the temperature settings. It turns off automatically for a while and then turns back on so that it won't fry your fish or fishes.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom