Ugly molly fry

wishuponafish

Reaction score
My orange sailfin molly (F) mated with a black molly (M) and had a bunch of pale orangeish fry with random large black areas on them. I honestly think they're pretty ugly, do LFSs typically reject fish with bad markings?

JamieLu

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
wishuponafish said:
My orange sailfin molly (F) mated with a black molly (M) and had a bunch of pale orangeish fry with random large black areas on them. I honestly think they're pretty ugly, do LFSs typically reject fish with bad markings?
Will u post a pic of them? How old are they. I doubt theyll reject free fish of any kind lol

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ooh I’d love pictures, I always take weird likings to the ‘ugly’ patterned fish lol.

OP
wishuponafish

wishuponafish

Reaction score
JamieLu said:
Will u post a pic of them? How old are they. I doubt theyll reject free fish of any kind lol
I'll post a pic when I get home, they're about 3-4 weeks old. The LFS told me they would buy for store credit, but I didn't tell them what they looked like.

JamieLu

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Even if they dont take them for store credit they prob will if u just donate them. Im very interested to see what they look like!

OP
wishuponafish

wishuponafish

Reaction score
I have a male pale orange sailfin and a female black molly in there too so the parents also could have been them, but a batch of solid black ones were born at the same time so I assumed those were from the black pair, unless she gave birth to a litter from two different fathers at the same time (cats do that, but do fish?)

IMG_20200416_191119.jpg
IMG_20200416_190456.jpg

It's the pale looking ones around the top.
Also I came home to a new batch of fry!
IMG_20200416_190754.jpg

Attachments

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think they look cool! I like fish with different markings!

OP
wishuponafish

wishuponafish

Reaction score
If you guys think they're cool, I guess I have no choice but to grow them out haha.
And if any of you happen to live in GA, maybe you can take some mollies off my hands lol.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you are looking to keep a colony that has specific color forms then you'd have to separate the ones that would be mixing to create that color form. It is to be expected when mixing different color form you'll end up with different looking young. Sounds like lots of livebearer keepers will have a "cull tank" where they put all the fish they don't find particularly appealing.

When I decide to raise a batch of OB peacocks, not all the fry will have the OB blotching. Those normal looking fry are culled and fed to either the adults or my axolotl depending on their size, I put them to use one way or another. It's just selective breeding and when it comes to fish and serious breeders they cull undesirable fish to keep their strains at a good quality.

Do what you want with your fish, if you find people who want them then that's great. Find people who will pay for them and that's even better ;)

New Threads