Ughh.... Planaria

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well at least now i know why i’ve been finding dead shrimp! I picked one out today and a slimey little sucker oooozed out of the corpse. Stupid planaria. Guess I will have to go buy something for it tomorrow.

Had anyone used No Planaria, or a dewormer like fenbendenzole? I already have Levamisole. Does that work for planaria?

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've used zero planaria with first class results, planaria dead after 2 days but done full course safe on babies as well, Edit Lavamisole is shrimp safe its normally used on rust spot

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
richie.p said:
I've used zero planaria with first class results, planaria dead after 2 days but done full course safe on babies as well, Edit Lavamisole is shrimp safe its normally used on rust spot
Do you know what the active ingredients in No Planaria are? Just wondering, cos i’m not sure i’ll be able to find the exact same product.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This photo is no good what so ever unless you read Japanese

Attachments

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I found Zero Planaria online but it only ships from Japan so will take awhile to get here. I've decided to go with fenbendazole since i can get it by Saturday. I also learned that squishing a planaria just makes it multiply... *facepalm*

I had a nearly flawless shrimp tank for months. Then i moved them into a sweet hexagon tank, and i've been dealing with problem after problem.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That a pitty, I had to get mine from Japan although it's available in UK now, frabenzadol dose work which I can't get in UK you may have to do all your tanks, sorry I didn't realise you didn't know if you split them they grow a new head, they are a shrimp nightmare, gourami and Mollies will eat them

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
richie.p said:
That a pitty, I had to get mine from Japan although it's available in UK now, frabenzadol dose work which I can't get in UK you may have to do all your tanks, sorry I didn't realise you didn't know if you split them they grow a new head, they are a shrimp nightmare, gourami and Mollies will eat them
This is the first time i have had to deal with them. I think they nearly wiped out my population. I am really bent up about it. I feel awful about it.

I only have one tank with shrimp in it, so at least there's only one tank to treat.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had to deal with it a few months ago how they got in there I'll never know and was lucky spotted them I think before damage was done. I hope you get it treated before to much damage is done

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This morning i freaked out cos i only saw one shrimp. I did a good gravel vac today and found about 10 more shrimp. I guess they were just hiding this morning. One looked berried so there is hope!

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hopefully you'll get fenbendazole shortly and and get stuck into them, I hate them and people don't realise how much damage they can do

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I knew they were bad, but i did not know they were this bad. I saw a long one oozing away from a dead shrimp again this morning. I am wondering if maybe i should leave the light on overnight. They certainly seem more active in the dark.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Take a look at this, it's one I show to the skeptics who say planeria are safe. When you first see him hes on the outside of the shrimp

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
oh gosh... i'm not sure i want to watch that. I absolutely believe that planaria are killers and i feel so bad for letting my shrimp be hunted by them. I left the light on overnight and did not see any more dead shrimp today. The dewormer is supposed to arrive today so hopefully i can preserve my colony.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom