Ughghghghgh

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MatthewM, Jul 31, 2015.

1. MatthewM

MatthewM Valued Member Member

I knew when i got into this that it would be hard. And it is. But i'm not quitting. How do some of you make it look so easy?? Even some pet stores. I go in there and they just throw plants in a tank and dont do anything and they grow like crazy. I buy plants and make sure i have proper lighting and use the fertilizers and such, and everything dies! I pulled out all my pennywort today, never smelled something so bad in my life. A couple other plants died too probably because i never took them out of the rock wool. The only plants that havent been looking terrible is my giant amazon sword. Which looks great. And surprisingly my Madagascar lace bulb is looking fantastic. Heck, i cant even manage to make hornwort grow. How can you fail with hornwort??????? My water is practically perfect now, but i keep failing. The fish seem to be happy though. My emerald cory looks absolutely gorgeous now. I have been trying to find him some friends for a while now. Anyone know where to buy them? Nobody carry's them. And live aquaria wants more for shipping than for the fish. On the sorta bright side. My cuttlebone finally sank. I solved my emperor 400 problem. (By just removing the stupid thing). Anyone know of a fish that likes green soot algae? Im getting it on my glass now and my snail isn't doing anything with it. And is it possible to destroy purigen? I regenerated it, and it was black as can be only a week later. And when i put it in the bleach solution, it turned completely white in minutes. That just seems odd to me. Last time i left it in seachem too long and it turned grey, does that mean i
    killed it? Last thing, is it normal for gouramis to gulp at the surface for extended periods? As of removing my emperor, there is no surface agitation and no airstone. So im guessing i may need to add an airstone or there wont be any oxygen. Or will the plants be enough? I didnt think oxygen in the water affected gouramis,, but is there not enough, so it has to stay for longer periods? It was gulping at the surface for a good minute and a half...this is a long post i know, i just sorta let my thoughts roll out.

2. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Sometimes you just have to take a time out for yourself. Frustration is so counter productive. Bet it felt good 86ing that crummy emperor filter.

3. DrSahl

DrSahl Valued Member Member

Just out of curiousity what substrate do you use and how much ?
    What fert are you using ? you need micro and macro.. You can get all in one "liquid" ferts I've noticed and I was told that is sometimes enough, else you need root tabs..

I have no real exprience with plants (other than a few in my old axolotl tank) and they did just fine with a little fert now and then.

<-- might be a good place to read.. I've noticed some plants are much harder than others, maybe you should try some of the easy ones ? they label their plants 1-3 on how hard they are, personaly I am scared of using anything that has a 3.

Hopefully someone with exprience will help you out :D but keeping plants is hard I fear... I am scared about it myself in my new tank.. I fear death and decay.

4. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

Yeah, that filter was just horrible.

5. happygolucky

happygolucky Well Known Member Member

All I know is that Gourami are labyrinth fish, meaning they do gulp from the surface as they can get some oxygen from the air

6. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

I use just plain white silica sand. Two inches, it was like five bucks. I was told by my local store that its great for plants. Starting to think otherwise. I just didn't wanna spend 150 bucks on that special plant gravel. I use root tabs, flourish, excel, potassium, and iron. All seachem.

7. DrSahl

Well I am no expert, but I hard that "cichlid sand" is not as good as normal gravel (not talking about special substrate) you should not need anything else than tabs and liquid ferts for normal beginner plants as far as I can read and hear on forums. But again I am a only a novice in this hobby and a beginner on plants.

You might need co2 unless its in some of those products.. you can get that as liquid as well.

But the link I gave you should give some good tips.

8. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

Excel is basically liquid co2

9. DrSahl

Ahh ok :D I don't know it.

Well many factors might contribute to why his plants don't do well. but I am the wrong to tell about it but I do think the link has a good guide.

10. Rogue

Rogue Valued Member Member

Gouramis are labyrinth fish, but gulping at the surface for extended periods of time is not a good sign.

11. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

My other one randomly died from dropsy a week ago. This one seems to have just the slightest bit of pineconing scales, but it may just be me. Nothing else is odd other than the extended gulping. Hasn't done it in a while now.

12. Rogue

Rogue Valued Member Member

IME, when I have seen gouramis (or any other fish for that matter) gasping at the surface it usually points to a problem with the water, either in quality or oxygen level.

Too much time gulping air can also cause health problems.

Also, IME, very few fish die "randomly." There is always a cause. It just requires research.

13. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

Threw in some bubbles. Hopefully the air stone will help.

14. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

You might be overdoing it with ferts, im not sure what your regimen is. I use the planted plus on my 55g, which I believe has a slightly higher output than the 24/7. I dose ferts every 2 weeks, flourish comp at normal dose, iron at a half dose, and trace at a half dose. This has worked very well for me. I use excel on and off, not religiously. Everything has grown fine for me, the exception being my Telanthera Cardinalis, which seems to grow new leaves but sheds its lower ones as new ones grow in.

If youre dosing more ferts than the plants need, they might be getting burned out on them. Also, plants will not be enough for you to go filterless, youll definitely want some kind of filtration. Not even necessarily for waste as much as water circulation, and of course gas exchange. As others have said, dwelling at the surface for extended periods isnt a good sign, yes Gouramis are labyrinth fish and will gulp from the surface from time to time, but shouldnt be for extended periods.

15. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

Im currently not dosing. As i was told to give my plants a rest by another user. I might just get a bunch of madagascar lace and amazon swords as they thrive for me. I use the same light but the 24/7 model. I dont use the 24/7 setting though. I put it on max all day and the lowest blue setting at night.

As for the filter. I was running two. My emperor 400 and a fluval 406.
    The 496 remains my filter still. It just doesnt provide oxygen like the emperor did. I took the matrix from the emperor and added it to the matrix in my canister. The emperor was just a money put for cartridges that last a week tops and was always noisy as can be. I added a bubble stone thing like fifteen minutes ago and its an instant improvement with the activity of my fish

16. Bluestreakfl

Ok, sounds like it could definitely have been low O2 in the water. Giving your plants a break from the ferts couldnt hurt, might actually give them time to catch up. Regarding your canister, does it have a spray bar? You could always adjust its placement for better surface agitation, I have mine almost at the water line on the far end of my tank, and pointed diagonally downward, but its also near my airstones so it pushes some of the bubbles down and around. Even if you cant place it by the airstone, you can aim the spray bar up, so that it almost shoots the water above the surface, but not quite, almost in a diagonal upward direction. This will give you much more agitation.

17. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

I dont. I use the default piece. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438398424.569062.jpg
    Photos upside down but thats it

18. Bluestreakfl

Ok so you use the flow head basically (im sure theres a fancier term for it). You might try putting it slightly closer to the waters surface if you can, to where you can see the water churning on the surface.

19. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

Good idea giving everything a break, see what happens, algae is a sign of extras nutrients.
    I added an airstone, I have a 406, never seemed to be able to break enough surface to feel right. I know, that is not technical, but once the airstone went in, the system looked better. Mind you, I have the 406 output under the water pointed towards/across the surface, I didn't want to have it above the surface.

20. a

amydeb Valued Member Member

I'm sorry, I do not have any advice for you. Just offering my sympathies. I am this way with house plants. I swear, as soon as they realize they have been moved to my house, they die.

My mother once gave me some kind of plant that was supposed to be super easy to keep. I really did try! After months, the only thing that was left was one small stalk. My father took the pathetic stalk to his house. 7 years later, it's now been transplanted several times and is in a pot so large, it sits on the floor.

The ultimate insult? I once killed an air plant! Yes, those little things that are glued to like a shell or something without any dirt. :eek:

I am the joke of my family. Everyone else has at least a few plants in *every* room. At my father's, you can barely get to any of the windows in the house because there are huge, lush plants! My mother's deck looks like a jungle. Like you said, they make it look SO EASY!

The last house plant I had was doing fairly well. I had hope. Then I adopted another cat. A huge, 9 year old, former outside-living, tough guy. I woke up one morning to find him sprawled out in a blissful state next to what was left of my plant. Pieces of it everywhere. I gave up right then.

I put a few "easy" plants in my aquarium last week. My mother came by, saw them and gave me that look.... the one that silently says "You poor thing. You never learn." lol but we'll just have to see how it goes.

So if the only thing you ever grow in your tank is the Swords and madagascar lace, it will be ok. As my son says "I know that feel, man."

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice