Ugh tds!

1. uncclewis

uncclewis Well Known Member Member

Did a 85% water change or so because my TDS creeped up to 650! Now it is 300 again. What molecules made up the TDS?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

It's impossible to tell you what molecules make up the TDS in your tank. It's the minerals, salts, ions, etc. from your tap, ferts, fish waste, etc.

Large and frequent water changes will keep it down. I don't bother even checking my TDS. Knowing TDS doesn't really tell you much as you don't know what's making it up.

3. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

I was wrong it's 400 once my darn filters put out old water into my tank.

My nitrite is now 1 ppm from my tap water. Wow. Should I worry about my fish?

4. TexasDomer

I'd dose extra Prime whenever you do water changes to protect your fish from the nitrite until the bacteria can convert it to nitrates.

5. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

Do you think I should do another 80% water change to get the TDS to 300?

6. TexasDomer

Again, I don't think using TDS is a good way of knowing when to do water changes.

What are the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels?

7. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

Well. Ammonia .25 nitrite 1
    10 nitrate but I don't usually have ammonia and nitrite it came from my tap or when a fed a lot bc im going on vacation

8. TexasDomer

Don't feed a lot before you go on vacation. It can cause problems - your fish will be fine for most vacation lengths (unless your gone more than 3 weeks, and then you'll need someone to feed while you're gone - overfeeding before you leave still won't help and can be very bad).

Please stop overfeeding your fish.

Your tap has 1 ppm nitrites now?

9. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

Yeah I just checked and it was gone. Thanks for the tip. It took them like an hour to pick at their food and eat it. Should I vacuum if there is any there up? I definitely still can learn :) I worry about them going hungry all the time and not being able to tell me, I guess lol... If you think they aren't, I won't feed as much :)

right now my fishes bellies are fat

Also, I was curious if you knew of a place to get good dwarf rams? I want to set up another aquarium

Is she pregnant?[​IMG]

10. TexasDomer

Clown loaches don't get pregnant, but they can be full of eggs. I think yours are too young for this.

Having food around for an hour means that you are way overfeeding, still, even though we have talked about this many times. Feed what they can eat in a few minutes. They'll be fine. They really don't need as much food as you think.

I don't know what dwarf rams are. There are rams that are dwarf cichlids, if that's what you mean.

11. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

Yea. That's what I mean. Well they eat pellets sometimes it takes a while for them to break them up so its hard to gauge. Considering they are pellets how long should it take them to eat

12. TexasDomer

How large are the pellets and how many do you add?

You can presoften them in a cup of tank water or you can crush them and sprinkle them in (they'll sink and the loaches will be able to eat/find the pieces).

13. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

They are omega shrimp pellets. Quarter the size of a pinky nail. About 15 daily for 20 loaches. Occasionally shrimp eat some of it (they are cannibals) lol.

I'm not sure exactly how many I have. But it's less than 30, more than 13... They hide well and are timid.

I've never seen more than 17 at dinner.

14. TexasDomer

You have 20 clown loaches now? I thought you had 17 to start with and many had died...

15. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

I dont know how many I have. Partly my tank is big and has a lot of hiding spaces...

I think I have like 14-17. I know a lot died. But some could be hiding somewhere. I have counted about 14-16 at most at dinner at one time ever. When there are that many sometimes counting is hard too when they are playing. So I could have double counted.

Not getting anymore loaches especially. right now two are kinda skinny but not deathly and I am battling ICH. No or minimal ICH is present but I am continuing treatment because it hasn't been 2 weeks yet. Heat didn't work, but perhaps my heater couldn't keep it high enough consistently. 600W wasn't enough for my 75 gallon with the temperature 20-30 degree difference I guess!

One has eyes which are slightly protruded but not bad. Otherwise they are getting better!

It is like night and day for most since I got them

I do have another related question which you should be able to answer. I was going to do another 80% water change; but this time like 20% of it is going to be because I am changing the filter media. So, I was curious if this would affect bacteria too strongly if I did a large water change while also changing the filter stuff at the same time? I am about to go on vacation and my filter media is dirty now in my canisters.

16. TexasDomer

Are you replacing your filter media or just rinsing it in old tank water or dechlorinated water?

Replacing it might cause a cycle bump (depending on how much you remove), but rinsing it shouldn't do anything.

When are you going to upgrade the 75 gal for the loaches?

17. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

The filter material and sponges will be Changed but not my matrix.

I'm also considering removing my penn plaxx 1500 bc it has so much bypass anyway. Thoughts? I'll still have an fx 6 and and a hydor 600.

Most likely at the end of the year. Right now they seem ok. Actually they have enough space that I usually can't find them.

18. TexasDomer

You will likely have a cycle bump.

Why change out the filter material and sponges? Rinsing them should clean them well, and they can still be used.

19. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

Bc the flow is slower, but I guess I can do that. What do you think about removing one of the canisters?

20. TexasDomer

I think cleaning the media should help increase the flow.

What's the GPH of the canisters you're running?

And why did you want to remove one canister? With all of the fish you have in the 75 gal, I'd keep running two.