Ugh should I remove the plants?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by lyndra, Mar 17, 2010.

1. lyndra

lyndraValued MemberMember

I am having huge problems with one of my betta tank for some reason the plants in it are dropping a huge amount of a brown almost dusty substance that just covers everything... I have upped my water changes to twice a week because it looks really bad. I am pretty sure that the sheer amount of matter is throwing my cycle and my water is going brown with floating particles really quickly . I have no idea what is causing it because my other betta tank is going great! One of the plants in that tank has doubled in size and I need to move it because it is so tall it had hit the hood and is now growing sideways.

I'm really scared that the plant matter is going to cause my cycle to spike, but short of doing 100% wc everyday I can't control it... If a vaccum the tank it's full of stuff within an hour

I'll post photos in a couple of hours when I get home

2. bassbonediva

bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

What kind of plant(s) do you have? Depending on the types of plants you have and what kind of lighting you're running, it could be any number of issues. I have plants in all my tanks, divided or otherwise, and I have never had the problem you're describing.

Without any further information (what kind of plants and lighting), I'd say that most likely your plants are melting due to inadequate lighting with too many nutrients (your fish provide the nutrients, in this case, rather than using any ferts).

3. OP
    OP
    lyndra

I wondered if it was lack of light.. the tank in which the plants are going nuts gets a huge amount of light - about 15 hours a day (It goes on when I leave the house at 8:30am and gets turned off when I get home about 11pm) but the tank that I'm having issues with has much less light because my father insists that it only gets about 4 hours a day.

I actually have no idea what ay of my plants are.. I am using a aquaone 11 PL sunlight bulb.

Here are photos 299.jpg

The plants, they have been in here for about 3 months so far.

300.jpg
    Here you can see the 'guck'

please keep in mind that I did a 40% water change less then 24 hours ago using a teeny little syphon that allows me to do lots of vaccuming without draining the tank (it's about an inch in diameter)

301.jpg
    You can see the guck that has settled.

302.jpg

The guck on the leaves.. I keep removing that spider webby stuff as well, and I remove any leaves that look very nearly dead or have broken off.

I am being driven to my wits end by this tank.. my other one is great and looks awsome.. this one AGHGHGHGHG

4. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_DonWell Known MemberMember

Four hours of light isn't enought for any plant..10 is the min and being a red (in color) plant it needs very high light for 12 hours and CO2... Nutter will be able to tell you more I'm sure...

5. OP
    OP
    lyndra

I'll up the light then... I was having problems before from having too much light.. but that was before I had plants...
    now I seem to have the opposite... why couldn't I just be happy with fake?

6. Red1313

Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

because the live ones are better? :p
    Just wait until you swap your substrate out for soil, THAT's when the real :;fru begins lol

7. peacemaker92

peacemaker92Well Known MemberMember

Sorry you're going through this problem. Hope everything gets better for you soon. Best of luck! :;hf

8. bassbonediva

That could also be part of the problem: the substrate. I would imagine that red temple plant (   ) doesn't have very good roots? It could be a case of too little light and too many nutrients (which in this case is your betta's waste). Gravel and sand filter most of the nutrients down to the plants roots instead of most of it getting dumped directly onto the roots. Think of it as taking your pansies and planting them in just straight manure (did this once by accident...not a pretty picture). They'll survive, but they'll be getting TOO MUCH of a good thing. Combine that with not enough light, which is required for photosynthesis so that they can process all those nutrients and the plant is going to have a meltdown. I'd up your lighting hours and consider either switching out the substrate or at least adding a layer of sand or regular gravel under those glass stones to help filter the nutrients from your betta's waste.

9. Shine

ShineWell Known MemberMember

I have that same plant in one of my tanks. 'rotala magenta' was what it was labeled in the store

10. bassbonediva

Eek! :eek: If it is indeed 'rotala magenta,' you're going to have problems with it unless you have very high light (generally considered 2.5+WPG) and dose with CO2 and/or ferts. PlantGeek.net labels all their rotala species as being moderate to difficult care and needing high lighting. LiveAquaria.com agrees:

"The Rotala Magenta is a relatively fragile plant that should not be included in an aquarium with overly active fish that may damage the fragile stems. It prefers a water temperature that is toward the upper end of its acceptable range, and it requires a moderate to high level of light of 3 to 5 watts per gallon provided by full spectrum bulbs (5000-7000°K)."

11. Shine

ShineWell Known MemberMember

lol--yeah
    I'd agree to that: my baby goldies are having a field day with it :D Good thing they are moving to a bigger tank next week and my plan is to move some corys and a few other less destructive fish in.... platys or guppies perhaps.... maybe another betta.... curse the enablers!!! :p

12. OP
    OP
    lyndra

sorry I didn't mention - the plants are actually in terra cotta pots that are filled with a mix of sand and gravel... I was havng problems before when I had a sand substrate which was covered in large glass rocks (to stop my betta getting to the sand and eating it) with the brown guck and when broke the thermometer into the water, I took out m fish, carfully uprooted the plants and placed them in the water I had taken from the tank and then drained the tank as quickly as I could because I did not know what the thermometer was made of and what it would do - I was in such a rush that I grabbed sieve and poured the tank into that -whichseparated the stones from the water and sand. I had removed some of the sand bfore all of this happened so I planted the pots and did not return the rest of the sand to the tank the plants do have a fair amount of roots on them and are planted in pots with about 2 inches of sustrate in there.

13. OP
    OP
    lyndra

I may play swapsies - I'm tempted to move the pots into squirts tank where the plants are thriving and shift some of the pants into a different tank - that or send the pink plants into the third tank to give the cichlids something to play with and just move plants from squirts tank to firesong's.... I may mess around with firesongs tank a little more over the weekend and see.

I may also photograph all of the plants better so I can ask people what they are!!

14. Red1313

Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

hehe sounds like a great way to spend the weekend :)

15. OP
    OP
    lyndra

just as long as the fuzzy babies don't try to help:;balloons - the puppy tries to drink the water from the buckets and the cats like to splash each other... it's chaos

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice