ugh more sick fishies...

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This time it's my Pygmy Cories. I noticed that one of my little guys has two discolored patches on his head--they're sort of oval shaped, white patches that don't look fuzzy. He's otherwise perfectly fine, active and such, doesn't seem to realize anything's wrong. Since I know you'll ask, here's my tank readings

Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate...umm well I need a new test kit :-[ but considering I've done 3 25% water changes in the past 5 days (trying to get rid of green water), and I only have 3 inches of fish in there, I can hardly imagine the nitrate test even registering...
Temp-~77
Fish-3 Pygmy Cories

I think I know how he got this...when I originally got my fish, I got 6 Pygmies. However, soon after I noticed one of them had a few white patches on his head. I didn't think much of it...I guess I thought it might just be coloring. Well then he died soon after. Again I didn't think much of it since he was the littlest one and Pygmies are more delicate than other Cories. Then 2 others died mysteriously. Unfortunately about that time I got a horrible "pea soup" algae problem, so I never found their bodies let alone what was wrong with them. Well, the other 3 were perfectly healthy and happy (that is when I caught a glimpse of them through the green...) so I didn't worry...I figured they just died for no reason besides the stress of moving, like Otos will do a lot. Now it's been several months since I lost a Cory...but just today I noticed the white patches on one of them, a lot like the ones on my first to die... I don't know how long he's had the patches since the tank's been in blackout (again to kill the algae) for the past 3 days.

Well sorry this is getting so long. I figure it must be something bacterial, and I'm planning on dosing with Melafix. Sound good? Do you think turning the temp up a bit would help too?

Oh btw sorry I can't get a pic of him because he's so tiny and won't stay still.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
sorry can't help, hope they get better :-\

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ahhh just thought of something...Cories breathe air like Bettas so does that mean that Melafix is toxic to them too?! Or is it toxic strictly to fish with labyrinth organs? Has anyone used Melafix with Cories?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They only breathe air when there is lack of oxygen in the water since that is what they do in the wild, but I wouldn't think it would bother them but wouldn't know for sure. Never have used melafix.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I got the go-ahead from chickadee so I'm treating them with Melafis...will let you know how he's doing. Poor little guy. :'(

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He seems to be doing better. The white stuff is almost gone.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well he seems to have recovered fine I'm glad to say.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congratulations

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thanks