Ugh Finrot

1. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

My Otos both appear to have a mild case of finrot. Livebearers aren't affected. All fish are acting normal. I just did a water change today, before noticing. I'll pick up medications tomorrow--what should I use? Sorry, i'm in a hurry...gotta go!

2. Jason Well Known Member Member

Maracyn I & II are recommended by Butterfly and co. Ive used Melafix which has work. But remember its usually due to poor water quality

3. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Are you supposed to use them together?
    That's the funny thing--my water is just fine. Ammonia-0, nitrites-0, nitrates-20 (which it always is), temp is normal, been doing weekly water change/gravel vacuums, etc. My Guppies and Platies are perfectly fine...or at least they won't slow down long enough to tell! ;) One Oto has noticeable (well, to be reasonable, no one else in my family would notice... ;)) caudal fin damage, and the other won't quit moving but I noticed a few tears last night. I'm hoping this is just one of those new Otocinclus things, not some mistake of mine, although I'm kind of surprised they waited a month to get sick.
    Unfortunately I don't have a Q/hospital tank (yet!), but I heard finrot doesn't tend to affect healthy fish so hopefully my other fish won't pick up anything.

Is there anything else I should do for my fish?

4. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

One more thing--I read that it is tablets, so what do you do with them?  Just drop them in the tank?
    Oh, and do I need to cut the dosage due to the sensitivity of catfish?

5. Jason Well Known Member Member

Your water is Fine obviously it can also be due to the fact the the bacteria which causes this is always present in the aquarium maybe they got stressed from something as as the are weaker and maybe tore a fin couldn't fight it off and contracted it. It wont affect the healthy fish. If you have tablets i have no idea really but I ve used my meds at full strenght without them affecting the catfish

6. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Well, I got some Maracyn II and started treating, so hopefully that will take care of it. I'm glad you confirmed it won't affect healthy fish, so I don't have to worry about my Guppies and Platies, hopefully. New Otocinclus are notorious for being extremely weak due to inhumane capture methods and lack of food, so I'll just assume that's what caused it. Thanks for the help J-Man! Hopefully my little fishies Mist and Marble will start getting better.

7. Jason Well Known Member Member

:) Good Luck