Ugh! Do I haveeee to?? Question

1. Crissandra331 Member Member

So the Panda Cories are doing really well, just wanted to double check that 2 weeks is the lucky number for suggested minimum quarantine time cause the suspense of getting them into the main tank is killing me! I'm the most inpatient person ever! I'd love to get them in there sooner the bottom materials more suited for them instead of the QT, I would assume that even with no sign of disease it could not be the smartest things putting these guys in early?

Just curious...read the QT article and that kind of sparked my interest to ask everyone their opinion.

Thanks

p.s. let me know when I start annoying everyone with my constant cory posts ;)

2. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

I'd go with 3 weeks minimum for FW Cris. QTing is something that gets easier to do over the years. Your antsy now but in a few days you'll get over it with enjoying doing the right thing and become more comfortable. I'm sure others will have different time requirements - oh well?

3. FiscCyning Member Member

I prefer to be more cautious and stick to a one month quarantine since some diseases and parasites can take longer to show up. I've also been the victim of my own impatience and once killed a tank by adding a new fish too soon - turns out he had columnaris and infected the fish that were already in the tank.

While some people may call 2 weeks the minimum quarantine time, the consensus is usually 1 month. Having been burned before, I am now paranoid about sticking to that recommendation! I know how excited you must be to add your new cories, but all I can tell you is how horrible I felt for killing my fish with my own impatience. Even if they look healthy, a little more time can save you a lot of guilt.

4. Crissandra331 Member Member

Yes you all have very good points... Humph well there they will stay, I just found myself in a moment of weakness ;)

Thanks again, everyone :)

5. FiscCyning Member Member

I think we all understand the moment of weakness and have been there too! The nice thing about having Fishlore is that sometimes we can learn from other people's mistakes instead of having to make our own. :)