ugg...ammonia spike.

1. Ursinos

Ursinos Valued Member Member

So, 2 weeks ago, when I was doing my weekly 25% pwc, when I replaced the water, I forgot to add water conditioner before adding it to the tank. In fact, I didn't realized I'd forgotten for at least 15-20 minutes, at which point, I added the water conditioner straight to the tank (figuring better late than never).

fast forward a couple days, and I finally picked up the API master kit. My first test of the ammonia seemed to read 0, but I tested again after my PWC this last friday, and it was reading at just a bit light than the .25, remained the same saturday night when I tested it, but when I tested it again today, it was getting up between .25 and .5

So, I've done a 25% PWC (remembering the water conditioner this time), and went ahead and added the final tiny bit of Bio Support that I had left from originally cycling my tank. I'm going to check the levels again tonight, and probably every day for the next couple days to see what happens (doing PWC's if needed).

my question is, do you think it was forgetting that water conditioner last week that sent the ammonia rising, or was it something else? The only other thing that has changed is that I added abit of extra filter floss (rinsed in aquarium water first) to the filter to try and get out some of the little white floaties in the tank.) Any advice on further measures or other reasons would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think forgetting the dechlorinator for a few minutes would cause a spike, especially since it was days before you saw the ammonia.

Have you removed any of the media lately? Or has anything died/rotted?

3. OP
    OP
    Ursinos

a couple of the anubias in the tank had some little bits of leaf torn away from the looks of it. They were kinda just dangling from the plant. I removed those while I was at it today (, I took advantage of the extra PWC to pull the plants out and give the leaves a gentle scrub to get rid of algae). could the bits of dead leaf been the cause? they weren't that big, like, maybe 2mm wide and 5mm long.

4. TexasDomer

It could, but I would think it's unlikely to cause a spike. No dead fish or snails?

5. OP
    OP
    Ursinos

nope, and the fish aren't behaving differently either. No gasping at the surface or anything like that.

6. TexasDomer

I would do water changes to lower it (test your tap to make sure the ammonia in that is zero) until your bacteria can take care of it.

7. OP
    OP
    Ursinos

daily water changes?

8. TexasDomer

I don't think daily is needed unless your ammonia rises quickly. Any time your ammonia goes above 0.25 ppm, do a change.

9. OP
    OP
    Ursinos

ok, thanks!

and now I'm thinking even more that I'm in a mini cycle or something. After changing the water and adding the biosupport....couple hours later and the tank has gone all cloudy. That's usually a bacteria bloom, isn't it? seen during the beginning of a cycle?

10. TexasDomer

Could be caused by the bacterial additive too though. Don't change the water if the ammonia stays low - water changes make bacterial blooms worse.

11. OP
    OP
    Ursinos

alright, thanks for the advise

12. OP
    OP
    Ursinos

Good news, the bacteria bloom settled down even before lights out last night, and I retested the ammonia this morning, and it seems to be reading 0 (I'm horrible at reading those ed colours. I use the colour comparer build into "aquarium note" android app, but I'm not sure whether to read from the dark area in the sample vial, or the light area).

Will check every day for the next few days to make sure, but hopefully it was justa blip.

13. TexasDomer

Read it in a brightly lit room against a white background.

14. OP
    OP
    Ursinos

I've been doing it in the brightest room I have, but it's still usually got a shadowed bit.