UGF vs NON-UGF Help

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by memphistwo, Jul 12, 2014.

1. memphistwoNew MemberMember

So I have been trying to read a lot about this, but a lot of discussions surrounding the subject of UGF vs not using one seems to be pretty biased no matter which way you read it.

However, I recently purchased UGF for my 55 gallon soon-to-be cichlid tank and have a close-friend who kept a great cichlid tank for many years and he seems to swear by them, saying they require less maintenance if I do regular vacuums.

I must say though, that after purchasing a 48x12 UGF, I am having second thoughts as to if I should just return it and put the money into a canister filter.

Currently, I am running 3 sponge filters with a dojo loach to get the cycle going, and all seems well after approx. 3 weeks. I added the UGF today and while I believe in its possibility of being a great system, I am beginning to think that a HOB with my 3 sponges might be better - or a canister. In addition, I also think that it might be more trouble it is worth in the long run (on top of the fact that I have read that cichlids aren't too fond of them).

Could someone point me in the right direction here? Should I just return the UGF and put the money into something else?

2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

3. OP
    OP
    m

memphistwoNew MemberMember

Thanks for the links, I am reading them now. I would also like to add that I will be planning to go with some live plants, but probably nothing too serious (java ferns, amazon sword, etc.). This is still a beginner tank in a way and I still need to pick up a better vacuum (my mini one is no good for this size of a tank). Moreover, I noticed that in those pictures posted in the link, there are no undergravel tubes running in the tank, is there a better way to using a UGF without having 4 of these uplift tubes running (i currently have 4)?

4. cichlidman

cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

the sword will root into the ugf . You could not use 2 of the tubes and add powerheads to the top of 2 of them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice