UGF lift tube disguise

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by Big_Bichir, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Big_BichirNew MemberMember

Just a VERY VERY simple thing that has worked for me on tanks with
    Undergravel filters and uncomplicated or simple decorations.

I always disliked the clear lift tubes. They jump out at your eyes and take away from your fish. Sure you can hide them behind fancy time consuming foam/concrete backgrounds or tons of plants. But if you use a black background, or even paint your tank black(like I do), those clear tubes jump right out at ya!

Just go to a sporting goods or golf supply store and purchase golfbag replacement tubes.
    They arent more than a couple of bucks a piece.
    These tubes are solid black and will make your lift tubes practically invisible other than the top(water returns)
    They are just slightly bigger than your lift tubes and will slip over with ease.
    They block alot of light from your tubes too, so the lifttubes won't get nasty quite as fast too. You can just slide them off for easy cleaning.

Plus, on most long tanks the lift tubes are short enough that 1 golf bag tube will easily make 2 lift tube covers when cut in half.

2. thequietman44

thequietman44Valued MemberMember

That's great info to know! I guess you could even use the same thing to route/hide airline tubing and heater wires. Thanks for the tip!

3. OP
    OP
    B

Big_BichirNew MemberMember

You could, but the black airline they sell at most petshops does the trick too.

Another quick thing with that is... I use an electronic thermometer,
    its from radio shack since it was half the price of the "aquarium" models &
    the probe & cord is white. So I spit the black airline and slide the wires into it.
    kinda like conduit.

4. thequietman44

thequietman44Valued MemberMember

Yeah, working with computers and networks all day I use conduits for everything :). I would just rather have everything in one tidy conduit even if it's not necessarily ruining the aesthetics :). Boy, now I need to go out and buy black airline tubing and golfbag tubes ;).

5. ilikefishValued MemberMember

haha me too +1

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice