Ugf filter for shrimp tank

HoneySMAK

Hey! It has been several years since I have kept an aquarium and I am researching a freshwater shrimp tank. When I kept fish before, I ran an Ugf with a layer of bio filter ( quilt batting) between the Ugf and the gravel. It worked very well. I am curious as to how you guys think this will work in a shrimp tank with ada substrate. Also, I would regularly vacuum my gravel. Is this a problem with Ada? Will I need to run my job filter as well? Also any beginner shrimp tips will help!

supanova

I would NEVER NEVER NEVER keep a ufg I had one for 6 months in my 40 gallon and about 4 months in my nitrate had shot up to 70 ppm with doing 2, 50% water changes a week and not getting them down. When I removed the UFG (tons of gross gunk came out) and did another 50% change they came down to 30ppm right after so I would not do a UFG in any sort of tank

Aquatica88

My impression is that UGFs are seen as outdated and that there are better options out there. I think I had one years ago (15+ years ago) when I was a kid and had fish in a 5 gallon and the UGF came with one of those minI tank kits.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
EricV
Replies
Views
jertan98
Replies
Views
EbiAqua
  • Question
Replies