u v sterilizer

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by flyinguitar83, Aug 9, 2015.

1. flyinguitar83New MemberMember

Do u v sterilizers help keep water clean

2. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Only if you have green water. Other than that, they are not worth the money for most people's tanks.

3. chrt396

chrt396Well Known MemberMember

Yes...they keep it nice and clear. I have a Fluval 206 with the current turned down quite a bit to allow the water to SLOWLY go by the lamp. That helps quite a bit. I can tell the difference in just the tiny bit of algae alone.

AS BDpups said...many times it may not matter..especially in a freshwater tank..but mine is in an entryway where there are sidelights to the doors and algae can form quite quickly. The UV helps considerably for that.

4. Rivieraneo

RivieraneoModeratorModerator Member

Yes and no, if you have algae growth on plants or decor, the UV apparatus will have no effect, it will only cook free floating algae spores.

5. OP
    OP
    f

flyinguitar83New MemberMember

Algae really not that bad in my tank but the water looks greenish

6. chrt396

It would assuredly help that condition. All we need is a motorized algae scraper now. I have read somewhere, where they actually make that! The epitome of lazy.

7. OP
    OP
    f

U seem to know alot on a uv sterlizer do i want the water flow fast or slow through it to help with the green water problem

8. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

This chart is pretty accurate for the watts and flow rate needed for green water.

9. chrt396

The longer the water is exposed to the light, called DWELL time, the more effective the sterilizer is. I cut the flow of my Fluval 205 down to less than 50% flow, just so it actually works. If the water goes by too fast..the sterilizer is worthless. I also put it inline AFTER the filter. That way, I am assured that the water going through the UV is as clean as possible. It does help prevent the algae from forming since it kills what is free floating in the water.

10. OP
    OP
    f

So i had it set right bout 50% my 125 only tank i have green water problem my two 55 stay clear i do bout 30% water change one a week my 125 its every two to three days

11. chrt396

Where is the 125g located in the home? What kind of lights and how long do you keep them on? Is it planted? What kind of fish? What is Nitrate reading?

There is a good post on Algae by Dolfan that I will attempt to find. Not everyone is a fan of UV's on freshwater..but they do work. You need to change the UV bulb once every 6 mos however.

OK...here is the link to his thread he started.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/algae/188662-algae-problems-how-deal-them.html

12. OP
    OP
    f

Its located away from all windows its got a odyssee four 80w bulbs bout 6hrs got bout 4 plants i gor rid of the rest of em and a oscar, jack dempsey, and alge eater and no clue bout nitrate readings i had tank since febuary but had green water problem bout 2 months

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice