Typical Betta Behaviour?

FoldedCheese
How does your betta typically behave? Any "quirks" you notice? I know this is a broad question and will differ from fish to fish, but I'm curious. My betta for example, always seems to flare at his reflection after eating before swimming around the bottom hunting for scraps. He also obsessively patrols the tank right when the lights get turned on in the morning, and he will ignore me until he's satisfied. He spends a lot of time patrolling the perimeter of his "territory" and likes to weave in-between plants too. The best way I can describe it is he "putters" around the tank during the day, always going back to his floating log where he sits inside it and relaxes. I find animal behaviour just fascinating.

Advertisement
StarGirl
My Female patrols all of the time. Never stops as far as I can tell. I have never seen her "resting" anywhere. She goes in the log and looks through the top for food even though her belly is full. She ate ALL of the Ramshorn snails and eggs, they have been gone for months now. She is a hongry.

FoldedCheese
My Female patrols all of the time. Never stops as far as I can tell. I have never seen her "resting" anywhere. She goes in the log and looks through the top for food even though her belly is full. She ate ALL of the Ramshorn snails and eggs, they have been gone for months now. She is a hongry.

I think Mick uses his log so much because it's anchored to the same spot and it never moves, it's like a cave near the surface. He's also pretty shy so maybe your female is more outgoing. I did find when it was free floating he literally never used it at all though.

What a giant adorable pig. If he could, my betta would never stop eating. That reminds me, I accidentally introduced a few bladder snails with the guppy grass and he didn't even notice! I had to remove them myself can you believe that!? Seems I might have overestimated his aggressiveness level.

StarGirl
I think Mick uses his log so much because it's anchored to the same spot and it never moves, it's like a cave near the surface so he feels protected. That's my best guess, he's also pretty shy so maybe your female is more outgoing. I did find when it was free floating he literally never used it at all though.

What a giant adorable pig. If he could, my betta would never stop eating. That reminds me, I accidentally introduced a few bladder snails with the guppy grass and he didn't even notice! I had to remove them myself can you believe that!?
How did you anchor it? Is it in front or back? Yes she is definitely very outgoing, always up front. Swims to the top when anyone walks by.
I would never be able to put her in a community tank, she would literally explode I think.

FoldedCheese
How did you anchor it? Is it in front or back? Yes she is definitely very outgoing, always up front. Swims to the top when anyone walks by.
I would never be able to put her in a community tank, she would literally explode I think.

I had a betta leaf hammock, that he never used so I slipped the leaf part into the top hole of the log to keep it against the back wall of the tank. You could probably use any suction cup and super glue, but I find this set up helpful for WCs because I just slip the log off the leaf to remove it.

bettalog.jpg

StarGirl
I had a betta leaf hammock, that he never used so I slipped the leaf part into the top hole of the log to keep it against the back wall of the tank. You could probably use any suction cup and super glue, but I find this set up helpful for WCs because I just slip the log off the leaf to remove it.

View attachment 737570
Yeah the log helps when you are pouring water back in too. You can pour faster.

Advertisement
FishGirl115
My males who split a ten gallon do little flare dances when they notice each others shadows through divider. They go up down up down up down up down up down... My old betta Remmy loved his log too. It was a sinking one though. His other favorite spot to rest was on top of the heater between cord and wall, he LOVED that spot. I'm still studying my 9 new female bettas (in sorority), so I haven't seen too many quirks yet, but I'll let you know

FoldedCheese
My males who split a ten gallon do little flare dances when they notice each others shadows through divider. They go up down up down up down up down up down... My old betta Remmy loved his log too. It was a sinking one though. His other favorite spot to rest was on top of the heater between cord and wall, he LOVED that spot. I'm still studying my 9 new female bettas (in sorority), so I haven't seen too many quirks yet, but I'll let you know

Yes! He used to have a sinking log too and bridge. He LOVED swimming across/under the bridge and through the log. Please do . Did you end up deciding on names for the group of three?

FishGirl115
Yes! He used to have a sinking log too and bridge. He LOVED swimming across/under the bridge and through the log. Please do . Did you end up deciding on names for the group of three?
Yep! I named them after American pop stars (Rihanna, Taylor (Swift), Ariana (Grande)

Skrabbitskrabbit
Right now I have a male and a female that are siblings and the male patrols nonstop. I tell myself maybe he stops when I’m not around but who knows. He’s in a 5 gallon and does short back and forth swims (usually) instead of going all the way across the length of the glass. He has decorations that he doesn’t ever hardly interact with. I had a floating log he did not use and I took it out and put in a coconut cave. Still doesn’t use it. Oh well.
His sister (one of many.. they came from philam) is much more chill and playful and will follow me around and she now gets the floating log. Her tank is new (10 gallons) so I’m not sure where her favorite spots are yet

StarGirl
Right now I have a male and a female that are siblings and the male patrols nonstop. I tell myself maybe he stops when I’m not around but who knows. He’s in a 5 gallon and does short back and forth swims (usually) instead of going all the way across the length of the glass. He has decorations that he doesn’t ever hardly interact with. I had a floating log he did not use and I took it out and put in a coconut cave. Still doesn’t use it. Oh well.
His sister (one of many.. they came from philam) is much more chill and playful and will follow me around and she now gets the floating log. Her tank is new (10 gallons) so I’m not sure where her favorite spots are yet
Your male sounds just like my female...lol

Advertisement
Skrabbitskrabbit
Your male sounds just like my female...lol
He does!! It makes me feel like he’s bored. He is also kinda young still maybe he will chill? I don’t know, he reminds me of my crazy 3 year old child

StarGirl
He does!! It makes me feel like he’s bored. He is also kinda young still maybe he will chill? I don’t know, he reminds me of my crazy 3 year old child
YUP!

Katie Dawn

View attachment 737570
Well that's genius!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
loverofpuffersandgreen
Replies
Views
Crimson_687
Replies
Views
Chandell