types of substrate

1. slashgash Member Member

I recently took the gravel out of all of my tanks, it did nothing but trap waste no matter how much i vacuumed it. So, my question is, what other types of substrate can I use? I just ordered some Red Cherry Shrimp so im hoping to get some type of new substrate before they arrive.

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

3. slashgash Member Member

black sand? where do you get that? lol

4. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Petco! :D

5. slashgash Member Member

That would be why Ive never seen it, I dont go to petco. lol but I think i shall make a trip there for some black sand.

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeppers, got it at PetCo! $5 for a 5 pound bag. Not too bad :). The also sell bigger bags now. All I know is that they are $16, I forget the size.

7. Fall River Member Member

20 lb. bag, $16

8. pprocyg Member Member

9. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

10. mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

Black sand is fantastic! I love it because all the fish and plants really stand out, other types of sand are nice too, much easier to clean than gravel. :)

11. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, that! :p

Also, don't forget the MTS! I bet the LFS would give you some for free if they some how ended up with them :)

12. slashgash Member Member

OKay :) Im definately gonna pick up some black sand :)

13. slashgash Member Member

Does it have to be the sand from petco? If I were to go to walmart and get black sand used for making sand art, would it harm the fish?

14. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't use art sand, but that doesn't mean it won't work.

Not too bad if you have a 5 or 10 gallon tank :) but $1/LB is VERY expensive for a large tank, and the TMS is often $20-25 for a 20 lb bag.

I just got a 50 lb bag of pool filter sand for $8, for comparative purposes.

15. ivonko Member Member

wait have you actually used the black diamond media as sand? how did that turn out? any adverse effects on the fish?

16. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Not black diamond carbon. Blasting sand. I've heard mixed things about blasting sand, and have no experience with it.

17. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Ive Personally Used blasting Sand big mistake its not worth it.Your going to pay more in water than its worth you mise well go to ptco and get a bag of black sand.The stuff is dirty very rough not good for bottom dwellers.It also has a nasty affect on the water.I dont recommend it but others may.

18. slashgash Member Member

I went out and got black sand from petco today and my tanks look great! Thank you all for your help! I should be getting my shrimp tomorrow, so im excited.

19. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Awesome! Glad you like it :)

20. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would definitely get a black background, and I would attach it with a product called seaview. There are other methods that use the same principle. If you want the real deep black that will make the colors pop, you have to use more than just tape. And depending on the tank placement, you can do one of the sides too - looks sharp on a tank in a corner.

Not sure if you can see the difference....

Attached Files:

• types of substrate
      90.JPG
      File size:
      69.4 KB
      Views:
    • types of substrate
      45.JPG
      File size:
      72.2 KB
      Views: