Types of sand ok for aquarium use?

PurpleReign19

I was looking to get some black sand for my 20 long and was wondering what types are aquarium safe. And recommendations are welcome.

Thanks

IzabelB

I’ve heard lots of good things about black diamond blasting sand, it’s super cheap and looks sparkly in the water. It just needs a whole bunch of rinsing before use.

StarGirl

A lot of members use the Black Diamond blasting sand. (med grain) from the hardware stores. Its like under 10$ for a large bag.

PurpleReign19

StarGirl said:
A lot of members use the Black Diamond blasting sand. (med grain) from the hardware stores. Its like under 10$ for a large bag.
Does it need any special treatment before I put it in?

Sofiafish17

Quickrete play sand works well I’ve heard.

StarGirl

FreshwaterFins99 said:
Does it need any special treatment before I put it in?
I have heard to rinse it really well with a drop of dawn dishsoap in case of any oils in it. Rinse it really well. Thats it.

PurpleReign19

StarGirl said:
I have heard to rinse it really well with a drop of dawn dishsoap in case of any oils in it. Rinse it really well. Thats it.
So with some heavy rinsing I should be good with some Black Diamond blasting sand?

StarGirl

FreshwaterFins99 said:
So with some heavy rinsing I should be good with some Black Diamond blasting sand?
Yep. You can get it at places like Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, Farm and Fleet type stores.

PurpleReign19

StarGirl said:
Yep. You can get it at places like Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, Farm and Fleet type stores.
Alright! Thanks for the help! Cant wait to see some Albino Corys playing in it

StarGirl

Just make sure it is Med grain.

PurpleReign19

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom