Question Types Of Fish

Jenay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Once my big tank is set up, and cycled, I'm planning to add a few different types of "community" fish. I'm planning to introduce a small school of neon tetras (7-10), followed by some flashy looking make guppies, 3-4 female betta, and some appropriate algae eaters/bottom feeders once there's enough food available for them.

I've never found a single pet store that separates make & female tetras, and I don't want baby fish popping up.

Would they be likely to lay eggs?
If they did lay eggs, would the other fish conveniently eat them prior to hatching?

Thanks

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you have to ask, then I wouldn't worry about it at all. Even if the tetras do breed, highly doubtful the eggs and fry will survive. Maybe one or two if you're unlucky, but it wouldn't be the disrupt-the-balance-and-cause-a-fishpocalypse kind of thing.

Jenay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks. I have no interest in breeding fish, and I don't want to set myself up for a population explosion, or have them become aggressive by guarding eggs or fry.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, no need to worry about aggression with tetras and probably most schooling species. The females lay eggs, the males fertilize, and they move on. No parenting involved. And a population explosion is never going to happen.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom