types of fish food

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi ppl
          i was wondering if there was fish food i can give my goldfish apart from flakes as a main source of food, as although they get a varied diet the main source is fishflake food but it always gives them constipation (i have tested my observations) and its definetly fishflake.
They are in a 4ft tank and even though the food is soaked before they get it, they always hang about with bloated bellies any other food and they are fine, they dont get overfed as i read it is much better to leave them hungry for health reasons, any ideas would help

Thanks Sasha

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You could try different veggies like zucchini, summer squash, or potatoes. They are notorious for eating live plants in a tank, so fresh fruits and veggies would probably be welcomed. Definately make sure your flakes are especiallly for goldfish. You can also try veggie flakes like Omega One Super Veggie flakes for variety. I have also heard they love orange slices!

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks chickadee, the flakes are goldfish flakes it doesnt affect all of them just 2 or 3, i give them cucumber, peas, bloodworm, i like the idea of giving them potatoes (ive never heard that one, or oranges never thought they could have that) do you give them potaoes just like the peas,i.e quite soft???
Thanks Sasha

Dr_House

Reaction score
Hi, sasha. I'm sorry to hear about your goldfish problems. Are they fancy goldfish? Those are notorious for internal problems. :-\ I feed my fish spirulina enriched brine shrimp, which seems to have "evacuative" properties as well.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You can also try floating some anacharis in the tank for them to nibble on. Anacharis is a live aquatic plant that can be planted or floated in your tank. It's relatively inexpensive (about $2.00 for a bunch of 6 stalks) to replace if they eat them, and they will actually help with your water quality by absorbing nitrates while in your tank instead of polluting your tank like cut fruits or veggies would. I buy anacharis for my turtle. He loves them!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom