Types of filter media and cleaning Help

1. midnamoondog

midnamoondog Well Known Member Member

Greetings! I have an Eheim 2215 as well as a Penguin 350 HOB. I haven't cleaned my Eheim yet but it is getting time to do some maintenance. Before I go cleaning it out I want to make sure I do it right. I know I only have to rinse most of the media, but the polishing (white) pad should be replaced. I have heard of putting filter floss in its stead but does anyone have any recommendations? I am all about getting something from Jo-Ann fabrics and doing it myself or cutting something to size rather than paying $15 for three little rings. So I want to know if you have any advice for cleaning the canister filter for the first time, videos, etc. and what you use in your canister as far as filter media. Does everyone stick with what Eheim gives you, or do you use other things? Thanks! :;hi2

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Cleaning a canister is pretty easy - buckets are always helpful. I have several brands of canisters, but no eheims. When I remove the baskets, they go in a bucket. Then I clean the media and put it all back together. I clean the mechanical media with tap water, and give the biomedia a quick splash as well. I fill the filter manually with tank water and fill it high enough so that when I clamp the head down, it overflows. This makes sure I have no air in the filter. So it's a good idea to put the filter in a bucket if you do this. I clean my canisters twice a year.

All my filters are set up with the same media - fluval ceramic prefilter media in the first tray, mechanical (sponge) media in the second, and biological (biomax) in the rest of the baskets.

3. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

I believe Eheims don't have baskets or trays.

4. matsungit

matsungit Well Known Member Member

I use this to replace my filter pads. Just cut to fit.

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

depends on the model. They still have a container to hold the media, though, don't they?