Type of snail??

BettaTyphoon

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I saw this little guy on my heater today. I have NO IDEA how he got in my tank because I bleach washed all my plants except for the 1-2-grow cups which are supposed to be pest free??

I don't really care if hes just gonna munch on the brown algae I have, but if he's going to eat my plants/lay tons of eggs I will be upset.

20200407_174912.jpg

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Bladder snail. A pest to many as they breed but it won't harm your plants

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have approx. 20 of them in my 20 gallon and I kind of like them. They eat some algae and dead plant matter. I don’t feed them and it seems like their population has leveled out

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yup bladder snail. Feed less and they will not take over.............Or will they :nailbiting:

OP
BettaTyphoon

BettaTyphoon

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you all! I guess I will leave him be for now. I wanted some nerite snails to control the algae a little bit but can't get a hold of any due to the shutdown in my country right now. I like them since they don't breed without brackish water so I know I won't get too many. But if this one won't eat my good plants then I won't worry about it for now.

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
You can bleach plants till the cows come home and you won't kill every snail.

mimo91088

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Inner10 said:
You can bleach plants till the cows come home and you won't kill every snail.
This. But in my opinion it's not worth even trying as you risk harming the plant too. But just something to keep in mind, to all the people that hate snails and fear them coming in from the plant seller: there's a reason almost every plant seller has bladder snails, and it's not because they eat plants.

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
mimo91088 said:
This. But in my opinion it's not worth even trying as you risk harming the plant too. But just something to keep in mind, to all the people that hate snails and fear them coming in from the plant seller: there's a reason almost every plant seller has bladder snails, and it's not because they eat plants.
If you don't want snails buy Tropica.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I like them as a cleanup crew and escargot snack for the fish (you can crush and feed for free food as they are mainly eating left over food, dead plant matter, and algae). Ive never had issues with them reproducing beyond what food there is and they won't even eat soft leaved plants (unlike MTS, which i've had eat holes into anubias leaves..)

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Personally I hate them but they won’t harm your plants. And he will probably lay eggs everywhere. But some people benefit from them, I just don’t :facepalm:

New Threads