Type Of Shrimp?

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by EricChenner, Jan 11, 2019.

1. EricChenner

EricChennerNew MemberMember

hi, what type of shrimp species are these two? They are both female because they were both carrying eggs when I first got them. So any guesses?

Attached Files:

2. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Not sure I’m understanding... you are asking for species or strain?
    Both are neo davidii
    Seems the first is a blue strain, the second is a “wild type”, meaning some colors interbred and the offspring reverts back to wild coloration (brownish)

3. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Yep, both neos. First I would guess is a wild type with a racing stripe and second is some kind of snowball

4. OP
    OP
    EricChenner

Oh I didn’t even know there was a whole different thing with strains but yea I wanted to know the species, but I’d like to know more about the strain element because that sounds interesting, like where did you get all your information about that?

5. OP
    OP
    EricChenner

And okay thank you, I’ll look into that :)

6. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Neocaridina shrimp have been selectively bred to produce a massive array of colors, basically everything but purple. Some even have a transluscent midsection, and these are called "rili". There are many colors that carry the rili gene and some have a blue transluscent midsection.
    This link will show you a bit more what I'm talking about

7. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

When looking at the chart that @Rtessy linked to, WT is wild type...
    As shrimp started showing certain colors, breeders began to selectively breed for these colors. The longer the ‘line’ was maintained through selection/culling, the more ‘true’ the colors became. Mixing any of the colors often throws back the breeding, reverting to a wild type coloration. New caridina are created through crossing strains, but neos unfortunately don’t work this way, colors were somewhat random, then bred to be true...

The racing stripe... can be a few things... can show in older shrimp when time to molt, can show with changes in parameters, but beyond what you ‘see’, these are environmental. The racing stripe can also show from a recessive gene (this is how the goldenbacks came from yellows, selective bred to ‘show’).... so two entirely different causes for the same appearance.

(Tried to get this as easily explained as possible, feel free to ask away if a part doesn’t make sense)

8. Vijay Kumar

Vijay KumarNew MemberMember

I don't know about the first one but the second one is ghost shrimp maybe not sure about it...

9. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Second is a snowball, or clear, neocaridina. Ghost shrimp are significantly larger with humped backs, longer faces, different eyes, their legs elevate them much higher off the ground, longer antennae, and thinner swimmerets. Good on you trying to help out though!

10. -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

The second one is not snowball, snowball are neo zhangjiajiensis instead of neo davidi and very hard to come by, also they are a very obvious clear/white.

11. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

That's a mouth full! I didn't know that, I thought they were just a clear type of neo davidi. Also, guess I'm looking at the pic wrong, the shrimp seems pretty clear/white to me... What color is it? I'm a tiny bit colorblind, it didn't seem on the blue/purple or yellow/red spectrum, normally I only have an issue with those

12. -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Yeah, it's the name a very beautiful national park in China - an almost unreal looking landscape, I'm guessing the shrimp come from there.
    The shrimp in the 2nd pic is indeed clear, but has a grayish tinge to me, and it has a couple of stripes on the tail. Snowballs have a milky white to them, kind of like how bacterial infection looks in other varieties :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice