Type of Fish

1. mchadzu84 Initiate Member

We are very new to this and have a 110 gallon fish tank to fill. We are buying fish 1.5 hours away, so we need to get a handle on what we are actually buying. We are mainly interested in 3 types of tanks, but not 100% sure if everything will get along. If anyone has the time, if you can please in detail, let me know what does and doesn't get along from the lists below:

Peacock Tank
    • bushynose pleco
    • striped Raphael catfish
    • blood dragon peacock
    • kandango red fin cichlid
    • rusty cichlid
    • blue dolphin cichlid
    • yellow lab cichlid
    • hongi lab cichlid

Community Tank
    • bushynose pleco
    • south American bumblebee catfish
    • rainbow shark
    • barbs
    • giant danio
    • redhump eartheater cichlid
    • blue acara cichlid
    • pelvicachromis pulcher cichlid (a dwarf cichlid)
    • Malabar dwarf puffer

Dempsey Tank

• bushynose pleco
    • striped Raphael catfish
    • firemouth cichlid
    • Honduras red point cichlid
    • green terror cichlid
    • jack dempsey

2. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

I can't really help out, but I'm pretty sure you can't have a puffer, they need a species tank. TexasDomer should be able to help.:)
    Welcome to the forum!

3. peregrine Member Member

that is a lot of fish. And hardest thing is what will and won't get along. The only one I can comment on is the Community tank, Cichlids seem to be aggressive against other fish and sometimes their own kind, but some people have had success.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news with how far you have to drive. To do it safely you are going to need to make multiple trips. When adding new stock you are only really going to want to add a few fish at a time. ((I'm hoping wherever you are going it's that far because you live in the lovely countryside or something and have to go that far to go to town for shopping)). Lat thing you want after cycling your tank is to add too many fish, overwhelm the bio filtration and start having the poor things stressed or die off.

4. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. I have no idea about how to stock your tank with those fish. Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle before you buy fish. If not then click on the words and it will take you to a link. I just wanted to give you a suggestion since you have a long drive to get them. Take an empty cooler or Styrofoam cooler with you, and put the bags of fish in the cooler to keep their temp stable and dark causing less stress to the fish. Alison:;hi1

5. jlm418 Member Member

You might consider buying your fish online and having them shipped since you can only add do many at a time

6. mchadzu84 Initiate Member

Thank you for the suggestion! Yes, we are aware of the cycling.

7. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Welcoming me to the forum! If you fish less cycle you could in theory get your system ready to manage a large bioload and add most of the fish at once. I think this is often recommended with chiclids tanks to minimize territorial aggression. Before I drove that far for fish I would want a guarantee from the store they had in stock what I wanted. Can a store closer to you special order what you need? Which of the three possible stocking options are you leaning towards. There is tons of info to be provided, but the three are so different it seems like a lot for people to analyze all three. I would call for help from LeoDiaz and Aquaphobia. Good luck! Sounds like it will be a fun tank!

8. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

I definitely like your taste in cichlids; some great ones in that list.

The dempsey tank would be overstocked IMO. The 110 gallon has a footprint of only 4'x1.5'

The added height isn't particularly beneficial to those species.

Your best list there is the "community tank," although it does have some unknowns as far as compatibility. The puffer wouldn't work, but the rest of the stock list looks really cool to me. Geophagus are fantastic fish, as are pelviochromis - they really need to have sand as a substrate though, just take that into consideration.

I'd personally ditch the acara for another species of geophagus, remove the dwarf puffer, and you've got yourself an amazing tank.

9. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Peacock Tank
    bushynose pleco
    striped Raphael Catfish- don't recommend getting one for a peacock tank
    blood dragon peacock
    kandango red fin cichlid is a large hap how big is the tank?(dimensions)
    rusty cichlid-this is a mbuna
    blue Dolphin Cichlid- IMO they do better in species only tank
    Yellow Lab Cichlid-another mbuna
    hongi lab cichlid-another mbuna, mbunas shouldn't be mixed with peacocks

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Dwarf puffer won't work - they can be aggressive and/or they'll be outcompeted for food.

What species of barb and how many?

I might leave out the kribs in this tank. The tank is only 48" long and 18" wide, and I don't think that's enough room for 3 species of bottom dwelling cichlid, especially when the acara and eartheater are bigger than the krib.

I'd leave out the rainbow shark for the same reason.

11. Fufu Member Member

Agree with TD

I'd think about replacing the barbs with say a tetra IMO

Fufu

12. mchadzu84 Initiate Member

Thanks for all the suggestions! After a lot of consideration, we are definitely going with the peacock tank. Our tank is 110 gallons with a footprint of 48"x17"x27. We bought 3 yellow labs locally recently to make sure our tank parameters are all good before going for the more expensive fish. Can different peacock species be in the same tank?

13. moontanman Initiate Member

Lots of suggestions here but I wonder if you have considered a small fish community? Tetras make an awesome display in a large tank. Of course it's up to you but about 4 dozen cardinal tetras is an awesome sight! I am considering a 225 gallon tank dedicated to various tetras and other small fishes.

I look forward to your peacock tank photos!

14. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

15. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

I believe the Yellow Lab is actually an mbuna...but it is a very docile one, and I think it can be housed with peacocks. Did you see LeoDiaz 's list, most of your fish aren't peacocks, you need to make sure you have a stock where you aren't mixing mbuna and peacocks, or you will have a massacre on your hands at some point (at least that's what's recommended, there are a few people who have had LUCK keeping their fish together, but that's taking a chance where there is a high risk losing your expensive investments).

16. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Well you have yellow labs so is not a peacock tank... This what people don't get yellow labs are peaceful for mbunas standards some mbunas are capable killing fish way larger then them just for fun... But a yellow labs is still way more agressive then a peacock I had yellow labs that will kill peacocks just to show dominace to the other fish.